The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ernie Ashworth
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2009 11:11 am    

Ernie Ashworth was an American country music singer and longtime star of the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, Tennessee.

Born Ernest Bert Ashworth in Huntsville, Alabama, on December 15, 1928, he began his career singing on Huntsville radio station WBHP. In 1949, he moved to Nashville, Tennessee, where he worked for several radio stations and was signed by Wesley Rose as a songwriter for Acuff-Rose Music. Among the artists who recorded his songs between 1949 and 1955 were Jimmy Dickens, Carl Smith, Johnny Horton and Paul Anka.

However, success as a recording artist eluded him and in 1957, he returned to Huntsville and began working at the Redstone Arsenal, doing guided missile work. Three years later, Rose arranged a recording contract for him with Decca Records. Billed as "Ernest Ashworth," his first single, "Each Moment (Spent With You)," became a Top 5 Hit. Later that year, "You Can’t Pick A Rose In December" went into the Top 10 and in 1961, "Forever Gone" went into the Top 20.

In 1962, he moved to Hickory Records, the label owned by Acuff-Rose, and he scored a Top 5 Hit with "Everybody But Me" and a Top 10 with "I Take The Chance."

But it was his third release for Hickory that would become his signature song and the Number 1 smash. “Talk Back Trembling Lips” stayed on the national charts for 42 weeks and also did quite well on the pop charts.

Voted "Most Promising Male Artist" by Cashbox, Billboard and Record World in 1963 and 1964, he was invited to join the cast of the Grand Ole Opry in 1964. More chart records followed including "The D.J. Cried," "At Ease Heart" and "I Love To Dance With Annie." Ashworth continued to be a regular performer at the Grand Ole Opry, but he never had a record to match the success of "Talk Back Trembling Lips".

In 1989, he turned businessman by purchasing radio station WSLV in Ardmore, Tennessee. In 1992, Ashworth was inducted into the Alabama Music Hall of Fame. Always a popular performer overseas, he had a Number 1 song on the Independent National Charts, "Lonely Only Bar," in 1999 and was also named the "Number 1 Most Programmed Independent Artist in Europe" that same year.

Ashworth was a recording artist and made appearances at the Grand Ole Opry. He spent much of his time tending to the affairs of his radio stations in Ardmore and Gallatin, Tennessee.

Ernie was inducted into the Alabama Music Hall of Fame on February 22, 2008.[1]

Charted Singles

* "Each Moment (Spent With You)" (1962) U.S. Billboard Country Singles #4
* "Everybody But Me" (1962) #3
* "I Take the Chance" (1963) #7
* "Talk Back Trembling Lips" (1963) #1
* "I Love to Dance with Annie" (1964) #4
* "A Week in the Country" (1964) #10
* "Because I Cared" (1965) #18
* "Pushed in a Corner" (1965) #11
* "The DJ Cried" (1965) #8
* "At Ease Heart" (1966) #13
* "I Wish" (1966) #28
* "Sad Face" (1967) #31
* "A New Heart" (1968) #39

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2009 12:26 pm    

Sad to hear this. Ernie was one of the good guys. Jody.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2009 12:33 pm    

Micheal, I assume that since this in the "Gone Home" section that Ernest has passed away. Do you have the date of his passing, how old he was, or any other info?.......Thanks, JH in Va.

Stuart Basore

Madison, TN. USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2009 2:27 pm     Ernie

This is sad news, the passing of a wonderful person. He will be missed by all. Best wishes to his family. Stu Basore.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2009 4:20 pm    

Sorry to hear this. Jerry, he apparently died today: http://www.cmt.com/news/news-in-brief/1606137/grand-ole-opry-member-ernie-ashworth-dies.jhtml

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2009 4:48 pm    

Sad to hear about his passing. I first met Ernie in the early 70's when I worked for Little Roy Wiggins. I last saw Ernie about 7 years ago on a Florida Winter Tour.

R.C. Vick

Moss Point, Ms., USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2009 6:56 pm     Ernie and Roy

I happened to stop at a local family owned grocery store in the early 70's which was having its grand opening. The original old wood General store had burned down and was rebuilt with a big metal and concrete building. Out front on the walkway was a singer playing a six string and steel player. I was only about 21 and more into Pop at the time, but I immediately recognized that it was Ernie and Little Roy Wiggins. They may have just gotten set up, but the sad thing that caught my attention was there was no one stopping and listening to them. I also was in a hurry to get to work and missed a golden opportunity to get their undivided attention.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2009 10:20 pm    

Jody Sanders wrote:
Sad to hear this. Ernie was one of the good guys. Jody.

He was that, Jody.It's sad to hear about all of the good ones passing. Ernie came from a group of people that I call the heart and soul of country music. I remember watching him on the Opry on TV wearing those Rhinestone outfits with the lips sewn on them.
Tommy

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2009 1:57 pm    

Heard Ernie on the Opry a little while back. He introduced his song, one more time with 'O "Talk back Tremblin' Lips". Ernie and the others that came up together is why I loved to listen to the Opry. There's not many of them left.
My prayers got out to Ernie's family.

Tony

Doc Rickles

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2009 9:16 pm     Ernie Ashworth

Ernie was a wonderful person and entertainer. Worked a tour with Ernie for about 7 shows in Louisiana. He was always so gracious and appreciative of the band.
Rest in peace my friend and prayers go up for his family and loved ones from myself and Ginny.
Doc Rickles

Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2009 12:01 pm    

Mr Ernie was a 'white hat' in country music.A down to earth person who liked people, and loved to entertain them, and visit with them.
He also liked to go to flea markets.I saw him several times at a flea market on the outskirts of Lebanon,Tn. He would always call out to me if he saw me first.We would talk, and share stories as if we had been friends for most of our lives.
I always enjoyed hearing him perform..even if he didn't have a 'big' band with him.He sang from the heart..a trait I miss in some of the newer 'stars'..
Mr Ernie, thank you for you talent,and the times you spent talking to me, and for your song presentations.You will be missed by many.
Rest in eternal peace my friend.
RP...'come on in'...