The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Memories of Chuck Seals, Lee Ross, Billy Deaton
LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2009 10:54 pm    

The memories in my mind keep coming up with so many great friends who have decrease over the years.I can't help but want to reflect on how much they have done for Country Music before today world. Like Chuck Seals in Nashviile and California. Lee Ross with Bob Wills and his own self talent. And than,my old good buddy Billy Deaton who molded so many Artist careers in Nashville with Little Richie Johnson,Tommy Dee,James Williams,Danny Day & Billy Joe Burnette. Sincerely in Music,Leo J.Eiffert,Jr.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2009 8:59 am    

Leo, Lee Ross in addition to being a vocalist with Bob Wills and a song writer (Heart to Heart Talk) was also one of the best deejays in his era. Remember "Ross's Roundhouse" on KFOX in Long Beach. Ol' Lee was at the top of his game in those days.

As far as Chuck Seals, a music promoter who got writer's credit for songs he never wrote one word of, namely, "Crazy Arms" which was written by Ralph Mooney. Chuck got his piece of it for placing it with Ray Price. It used to frost me when he'd come by the DJ Ranch in No. Long Beach and get up to sing with us and our buddy (Clark) would introduce him as the man who wrote Crazy Arms.....Oh well, JH in Va.

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2009 2:09 pm     Jerry

Jerry, you're mitey right about Seals not writing a word of Crazy Arms but Moon gave him half. NOW hear this: Moon gave Seals the song and said "I'll give you half if you do something with it". Seals took it to Jimmy Wakely and gave Jimmy the publishing rights.( what was the name of his co?). Moon was unaware of that transaction. Somewhere along the way Ray P. heard the song and wanted to record it. At that time the thing with Wakely came to light and Moon went to him and paid him to release the song. As best he remembers about $700. What a gift huh?
Moon was living in Vegas when he wrote the tune. Fred

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 7:25 am    

Similar situation...Lee wrote "My shoes keep walkin back to you" which Bob Wills got half the credits..

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 10:09 am    

See,that how the Music Business works with some people.If somebody's got the name & fame and you want in the game.It's better to work something out then to get it stolen from you and you don't have them money to get it back,a song. That's not my (Leo) way of business,but,for some it's easy.That is also why most of them die with nothing at the in of the line.Millions of these stories all day long. Leo J.Eiffert,Jr.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 8:39 am    

That's the way it is in the songwriting/publishing bidness: half of a lot is better than the whole bag full of nuthin'.

Murphey, Boomer and I used to back up Lee Ross at George's Roundup. I liked him, though I didn't realize his full significance in C&W at the time.

Larry Scott and I were talking a couple years ago and he thinks there was some environmental problem with the KFOX building, because so many of the jocks there died of cancer: Lee Ross, Squeakin' Deacon, Hugh Cherry, Biff Collie, and I think others.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2009 1:34 pm    

Hey Herb,my old buddy Larry Scott could be right about that. I've been trying to put together what club we've picked together in and with who. I'm gonna come up with it soon. I know we have,but,don't know where yet. Leo

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2009 3:22 pm     marty sullivan

hey guy's...
was marty sullivan an alumnus of this same situation?
he had his health one day and went it all downhill seemed like, overnite.
i know he was in the area and the era you speak of, but, i have'nt seen a mention of him unless i missed it somewhere.
when he left louisiana he said he was going home,
'cause he would soon be going home!
jack..........

Ronnie Miller

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 5:09 pm     Billy Deaton

Hey Leo,
You have time to say Hello to Deaton..He's still among the living, in Nashville....cya..Ronnie

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2009 9:41 am    

It has always been thus!

When the star with his name on the bus records a song, the contract almost always credits him as a co-writer of the songs he records. That way he gets residuals as both the artist and the writer.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2009 1:44 pm    

Hello Ronnie Miller,are you sure we are talking about the same Billy Deaton? If he's still alive than give him all us California friends our love to him.He for sure is a great one who helped many Artist who couldn't he themself in the Music Business.I( We)was told some moons back he had gone to heaven.so,I am glad it's not true. Leo J.Eiffert,jr. PS;That's what makes it great on this forum,somebody knows somebody who knows each other that knows the somebody who don't know them.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2009 1:42 pm    

Recollections of Chuck Seals:

He fixed me up with a Far East DOD tour in 1987 with a CW band. He and I ended up rooming together on military bases. He was quite a character and always referred to me as his "roomie."

His amplifier was built into a box that he could put his guitar in as well--voila, one package!

I remember he'd go into an Officer's or NCO club, check out the slot machines, and usually be able to tell which ones were ready to pay off. Something about that Arkansas intuition . . .

And he claimed that during his stint in tanks in NW Africa, he was allowed to wear cowboy boots--because he had grown up wearing them and Army boots wouldn't work!

Later in Nashville he would have me do some 45-record label layout work, printing, cutting, pasting, photocopying. Every little gig helped.

Chris