The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  We Lost A Friend, Mike Woodring
Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2009 1:23 pm    

Yesterday around noon we lost one of the best liked musicians in the Western Michigan area. Mike Woodring lost his fight with cancer yesterday in Muskegon, Michigan, his home town. Mike was a good guitar player and was probably one of the most liked musicians from that Grand Rapids - Muskegon area. Mike always had a smile on his face and I have never met anyone that didn't like Mike. Mike had a nick name which I believe was Wichitaw and many people knew him only by that name. He did a lot of Simon Crum impersonations. I went to Michigan late last summer for a benefit in Mike's honor in Hesperia. I spent some quality time with Mike as we have been friends for going on fifty years. As I left Mike told me that the doctors told him they could keep him going for another year or so so I was quite shocked when I got the call from Janie Lambert last night. Rest in peace, Mike. You are one that I am surely going to miss, especially the two or three hour late night telephone conversations.
Dave A. Burley

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2009 2:42 pm    

Dave. I'm sorry for your friend.

I'm crying today, so I'm writing a lot of stuff off, trying to stay busy and off the "boards". Praying mostly.

I had most of my prostate cancer removed in May. Most of it. I guess you could say I'm "Fighting it". It'll be beat into submission for some years to come if I'm lucky.

No pain now, not too many "pads", don't have to catheter til friday. Out of breath, but MUCH better than the first few months. Three months to go before ANY appointment, and then it'll be either for a 1200$ Trelstar shot, and another three, or maybe NONE and testing in another three. We're praying that it stays "microscopic", or "In Remission".

I'm hoping that in some future year, as they tell me I have several good ones, and some go real good, some not so, and some plain bad.... like the first one recovering from all the surgery, and getting used to the lifelong stuff that has pulled me into it's intimacy.

That "In the End", somebody says..

"He Finally Won the Battle".

I'd really like to think your friend Won His Battle.

That's all. Just a stupid, errant thought.

Just maybe a different way of looking at it.

Later this evening as I came in from my "reflective river afternoon" I called my mother. We've been helping my younger brother deal with a bankruptcy of his once thriving business.

I made her promise that IF after MANY good years of life living WITH cancer, I get older at a rapid rate, asw Winnie Winston put it, and go to my maker, that in any Obituary I am characterised as Winning.

Those that lose are those that refuse to engage in battle.

Wink

EJL

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2009 11:59 am    

Dave-I am sorry to hear about Mike. please Accept my condolences....al

Eric-I am sorry to hear about your medical problems . I hope that, now, everything will be looking good for you, and you will be completely healed....al.

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus

Eric West

Post  Posted 15 Jan 2009 12:24 pm    

Well Al, I'm getting a lot of support, and prayer.

The hard part is getting out of the hospital and looking at ANYTHING that's wrong as a curse. Getting back to the
"daily grind".

This post reminded me that it's helpful if people exclaim after a long bout with cancer exclaim that the person TRIUMPHED, if only long enough to live a few, couple, or one year.

I mean no harsh correction, and don't plan to "stalk" the cancer death list.

I only wish to inject a wish to have people realise that we WIN every day we accomplish something, and even when at long last our bodies give up in the battle against our spirits. It's our spirits that win.

Our mortal bodies are destined to lose.

Our spirits, to WIN.

Thanks for the good wishes.

I get to go to a benefit for a young family that lost it's "single mom" in a drowning accident this Sunday. One of the many things I've been able to do since not dying on the table last May. Another victory.

The way the "models" go I'll be around for quite a few good years.

God willing.

Best wishes, and prayers.

Wink

EJL

Doc Rickles

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2009 12:48 pm     Help

Hi Eric,
There is a supplement that prevents cells from splitting. In your case it would probably help slow down or stop the reoccurence. You can research it on
lef.org. look up all information on curcumin, totattly harmless made from curry powder. Excellent results in many cases. This would be good for anyone sick or not. If cells can't or don't split they can't form cancer, tumors, or lumps. I'm not a medical doctor but have done much study on alternative health for 20 years. Check it out and decide if it might help you. Can get it at any health food store.
Blessings
Doc

Eric West

Post  Posted 15 Jan 2009 8:26 pm    

Will do 'er. I'm taking aluminum free baking soda and maple syrup, as it's pretty harmless, and something has helped knock a pretty nasty spreading disease into the microscopic level. Other things to try in the future in the same vein. Hey, vicks vaporub kept me from getting my toenails removed or put on liver destroying anti-fungals... They're healthy now.

On the topic again, I talked to my mother last night and made her promise that IF, and I say IF The Big C takes over and does me in, that I not be represented as "losing the battle".

No way out that can't be represented as "Losing" with few exceptions.. Similarly with "Winning" with few exceptions. If only we can try to look at it that way..

Smile

EJL

Evelyn Whitney

Muskegon, MI 49441 USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2009 11:09 am     Mike

I'll miss mike. He has just always been around.
I didn't see him much lately but, just the knowing he's not there will be sad.
He was such a fun guy. He taught guitar for us here in Michigan at "Rogers Musicland" and each evening when he was through he would imitate Ernest Tubb and sing "Waltz Across Texas with Me" just before he walked out the door. I wouldn't let him leave until he sang that song.
Always and forever just a friend.
I'll always see his face.
Mike, I hope you and Dennis Rogers (my son)are making up for lost time now. I know Dennis and his dad (Frank Sr.) were glad to welcome you home.

Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 8:13 pm    

MY condolences to Mike's family may GOD bless and comfort his family in this time of need ,,, that big C stuff is hard to control and worse to stop once it starts hope someday they can find a cure for all of it