The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel to learn on...
Brent Albert

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2009 8:23 am    

Hi. Smile First of all let me say what a great site this is and up until a month ago I did not know it existed! What I am interested in is purchasing a "learner" model steel guitar for myself and my daughter to take a stab at learning on. I had a deal made on an MSA but like all "good deals" it fell apart before it got shipped to me so I am back looking. My criteria: I want something that will be easily tuned and stays in tune relatively well (I am on the road a lot and my daughter will become frustrated if it is hard too, or frequently needs tuning). I would consider something that needs repairs but is fully intact (electronics, refinishing etc). Would like rod pedal activators not cable, but this is not a deal breaker either way. I also do not want to spend a whole lot on something that may not get much use. Yes, I know I am asking for the moon, but maybe someone out there with a kind heart and a spare pedal steel would like to send it to a good home at a reasonable price, allowing me to work with my daughter - I am told that learing an instrument like this can be therapy for her and has peaked her interest. So if anyone could help out we would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Brian Kurlychek

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2009 11:54 am    

Hi Brent,

The steels in the forums for sale recently are at extremely reasonable price due to the economy. Alot of them going hundreds of dollars cheaper than last summer. There are many deals to be had.

Buy the best guitar you can. If it means you need to save up for a few more months then do it. You will be glad you did. This is something that will be with you for a long time to come.

As far as the tuning goes, just get a Peterson and you will have no trouble keeping it tuned properly.

I hope you find one soon.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2009 12:49 pm    

Hey Brent,
Please contact Pete Woronowski..he has a music store in Saskatoon. He deals in new Mullen pedal steels and also used steels of many kinds. Pete also rents them, yes, you can rent one just like renting a chainsaw at your local rental store!

Pete is one of the greatest to deal with and he will go to great lengths to make sure you get what you want.

Get hold of Pete by sending him an email via this forum.
Welcome to the Forum!

Bent

Brian Straub

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2009 1:16 pm     Starter Steel

Brent, PM sent. Brian