The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How can I dress this up?
Glen Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 10:09 am    

The covering is formica. I guess I prefer darker colors because maybe it's a subconcious thing regarding my own fair coloring. I wear mostly dark clothes and I like brunette women. Anyway, I'm glad you all like the way it looks. I might just go with minor cosmetics like the custom pinstriping that Tommy mentioned or tastefully done flames or fancier bordering. Thanks everyone, and have a very Merry Christmas. Very Happy

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 10:16 am    

Howz this???Merry Christmas.
Laughing Laughing
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Glen Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 10:26 am     Re: dress up

Dwight Lewis wrote:
This looks like formica already. I think you could polish whatever aluminum you have and put some gold Grover tuner keys on and maybe even different fret boards, but she is a beaut as is. Looks alot like an MSA. What company made this steel and are they still in business? Also you could change pickups, depending what sound you like get yourself custom wound split coil humbuckers where you can get clean and warm sounds, Humbuckers look the business at the tail end, kind of like flowmasters on a Ford F-150.

Dwight, as far as I know, Wayne Link is still building steels, but I read that he might be selling the company soon. You're partly right about the MSA thing...I heard that a lot of the technology is MSA related. According to the Linkon parts catalogue, many of the parts are MSA. Thanks for the suggestions and have a Merry Christmas.

Glen Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 10:27 am    

Stu Schulman wrote:
Howz this???Merry Christmas.
Laughing Laughing

WOW!!!

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 10:57 am    

Glen Derksen wrote:
The covering is formica..... Very Happy

...got me again. Embarassed Embarassed Laughing

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 11:23 am    

Stu, you are one warped human being!!

Tim Jones of Kansas

Andover, KS, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 1:03 pm    

You could have an artist hand paint a scene on it for you. That would be neat.

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture, I'll have to look, but I knew an old fellow who was both a steel player and a painter. He took his Fender steel (two 400's bolted together to make a D-8 ), and painted the entire thing to look like a blue sky with clouds. It was beautiful!

Smile

Glen Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 1:09 pm    

Tim Jones wrote:
You could have an artist hand paint a scene on it for you. That would be neat.

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture, I'll have to look, but I knew an old fellow who was both a steel player and a painter. He took his Fender steel (two 400's bolted together to make a D-8 ), and painted the entire thing to look like a blue sky with clouds. It was beautiful!

Smile

That's a great idea! I know some people who are talented artists. I think model paint would work well.

Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 7:01 pm    

have a music noted muriel painted on the front of it,, maybe to nightlife would be sharp

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 7:34 pm    

Glen,I went to see the new Movie "Valkyrie" with Tom Cruise today,he kept taking out his fake eyeball so I thought this time I would eyeballs,Stu Laughing Laughing

Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Glen Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2008 10:28 am    

Laughing Laughing Stu, I like those! How do you that psychadelic(sp?) stuff?

Robert Harper

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2008 11:18 am     Dress It Up

I can't get over the fact that no one suggested it be done in Black. I woul play better and look skinner. Maybe feel lighter. Tommy where is Ethelsville Al

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 26 Dec 2008 11:58 am    

Glen,It's an older H.P.program called Photosmart,It with with a camera a few years ago,It's like the idiot's version of Photo Shop,If you P.M. Me and send an address I'll burn a copy for you,Stu Winking Winking Winking

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 26 Dec 2008 12:15 pm    

Why not glue a mirror on the front and it will always match the decor of of your gig.

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2008 12:18 pm    

Or how about some of those stick-on bullet hole and some chicken wire, and a "Music Row" bumper sticker?