The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  More on Jackson guitars
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2008 7:33 pm    

As some of you already know I have had a Jackson D10 Shot Jackson Commemorative (hope I spelled that right) for a few months now. I have finally got to record and have played several jobs with it. This is abdolutly the best sounding guitar I have ever owned. When I was last in Nashville Harry and I decided to A B the guitar with a couple old Sho-Buds. Both were early sixties permanents. One was the one I have been playing and one belongs to my old pal Jerry Merhar. Hands down the Jackson was the best. There were others in the room as well but I'll leave it to them to comment. The high end had the sweetness of the old Buds but the low end was much clearer. The mid range is what got me. It has THAT growl that is so hard to attain on modern guitars. Well Harry, David and Dawn have found it. They also have a new all pull guitar called the Pro IV that is killer. Of coarse the Black Jack is the best single neck guitar under $2,000 I have seen yet. And I think there is more to come.
Many of us including the THE BIG DOGS have played Sho-Bud guitars either in the past or are currently playing one. The Jackson is the best I have seen out of the Jackson family and I've been around them 40 of my 51 years. I'm not a paid endoarser or an employee of Jackson, I am just telling it like it is. If you have'nt tried one yet you should. It's like coming home to your family after many years away.

Come Home To The Jackson Family Of Steel Guitars.
Me, Harry & Cope McDaniel

I have and I'm glad I did!

Johnny Cox

Post  Posted 21 Dec 2008 5:10 pm    

My goodness, I've never seen you guys not post any comment on a thread till now. Hello, testing 123. Am I on? Confused Confused Confused Laughing Laughing Laughing

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2008 5:28 pm    

Cope! Now there's a gentleman for ya. I had the pleasure of spending some time with Cope and Cope Jr. in both Nashville and Dallas, and what a pleasure it was. And it goes without saying how great the Jacksons are. I was treated like gold all the time in the Jackson room at both conventions, and if my Blackjack was a full body guitar, I never would have let go of it. It had such great tone. A Pro IV is in my future as soon as I can afford it. The steels that I played in St. Louis were incredible, including Charlie's that is for sale in Instruments. The Blonde SD10 on the right in the above pic blew me away as well. Fabulous tone all the way up the neck. Not a day goes by that I don't think about selling all my gear just to own that one steel guitar. Without a doubt, the Jacksons are making a killer steel that's worth every penny. If you have the money, I highly recommend one.

Johnny, the Jacksons are lucky to have such a prominent, well-known player preaching the virtues of this instrument. It is truly the best of the old and new.

autry andress

Plano, Tx.
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2008 5:51 pm     Session 400???

Hi Johnny
Have you gone back to a Session 400 with that old Sho-Bud Tone??? IMHO that's a combo that's hard to beat.
Thanks

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2008 6:38 pm     Re: More on Jackson guitars

Johnny Cox wrote:
It has THAT growl that is so hard to attain on modern guitars.

Growl?????

Not any kind of ordinary growl, but "THAT" growl.

What does this mean?

Mike Schwartzman

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2008 9:51 pm    

Now there's a mighty handsome threesome!

Oh, and you 3 guys look pretty good too.

Jeff Bradshaw

Leslieville, Alberta - Canada
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2008 10:07 pm    

Hi Johnny, There is certainly no doubt in my mind regarding the quality of workmanship & superb tonal characteristics of the Jackson guitar...they are absolutely top notch!!!! Happy Holidays to all. ..jeff bradshaw

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2008 8:59 am    

Johnny, that is one soundcheck I really would have liked to have heard!!

Johnny Cox

Post  Posted 22 Dec 2008 9:26 am    

Autrey, still have the session 400 and a 400 Limited. I use the Limited when I need to get loud otherwise i'm using a Sho-Bud single channel.

Bill, it's that low mid growl that makes you want to keep playing long after the job is over.

Doug, it was a surprise to all of us too.