The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dan Dowd's passing 2 yrs
Kurt Kowalski

Kendall, NY USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2008 6:33 am    

It has now been 2 yrs since my Cousin, my friend and pal Danny Dowd has passed away.

Danny passed on 11/6/2006.

I still think of him everyday and still am waiting for his "phone call". He would always check in with me.

I am sure all of Dan's friends and family out there miss him too.

He sure loved the steel guitar community and his steel guitar friends.

I miss you Danny, thinking about you.

Kurt

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2008 7:29 am    

Dan was a great guy and Mike and I enjoyed having him in our home. He came as a student and ended up a friend. We miss him very much.

Teresa & Mike Sweeney

Jerry Fessenden

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2008 6:30 pm     Dan Dowd

This was also one of the worst days in my life too.... Dan & I were on the phone several times a day, shared music & recording, went on trips many times and had so much in common. He made my life so easy with all his help & information...Certainly one of the smartest men I have known. He had a plan worked out for everything. He had designs and patents that amazed me.... I definetely think of him every day , and my life has a huge void since he passed ....words don't even begin to say what I really mean ,,I'm sure that goes for Kurt as well...thanks for the post Kurt..JF

Dean Neeley

Aiken,SC USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2008 6:45 pm     Dan Dowd

I to miss Dan very much,he would help you any way he
could.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2008 6:29 am    

I miss Dan too
He would come to Michigan for the steel show in Grand Rapids every year from the late 90s through 2003 or so and I really enjoyed seeing him in person. Such a bright, delightful person. He was always interested in E9/B6 and we had many discussions via phone or EMail and it was great to sit down to one of his guitars. I remember one particular blue S-12 that I really liked. We discussed his building me a guitar, but he passed away before it ever happened. I'll just have to be content with the one Jerry built me. Very Happy

Rest in peace, old buddy

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2008 11:44 am    

Dan was a truly nice guy. I got to stay at the "Dowd Hotel" one time on the way to Kansas City.

The last time I saw Dan was at St Louis and he had one of his guitars setup at the Fessenden booth.

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2008 1:04 pm    

Dan being gone is another hole in my heart, as great a person, friend and player as anyone could wish for. I'll miss him as long as I live.
His wonderful son, Dan Jr. is doing well to fill this horrible void though, a great steel builder also, and a great guy to know.
Bobbe

Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2008 6:58 pm    

Yep, Sure do miss him. Went by his home last nite. Dan was a good man and good to everyone. Miss you Mister.

Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2008 5:10 am    

Dan was a good friend and I sure miss him. Always helpful and a true gentleman.

Dag

Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2008 7:03 am    

I surely agree with the above posts.Paducah lost one of its finer citizens..and I, and the steel guitar community , lost a dear friend. His home, his telephone, and his computer were always open for visits..
Mr Dan and I made many trips together,and had a great time..he had a wealth of knowlege,and was interested in about everything.
I also miss him very much.He was a very dear friend, and he will always be in my heart.
Rest in peace my friend...
RP...'come on in'...

JACK HEERN

MURPHYSBORO,IL. USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2008 7:49 am    

Rob, I couldn't have said it any better. He was a pleasure to be around and much fun to swap licks with. He would take great pains to share his knowlege on the steel.

frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2008 7:37 pm    

Dan was a fine builder and a very good player with beautiful tone. But most important, he was a fine gentleman. Miss ya Dan.

Leonard G. Robertson

Ozark, Mo. USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2008 7:50 pm    

I've never met him, but I have a cassette of his music that is a favorite to listen to as I ride my goldwing on long trips.

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 4:09 pm    

What Frank said. Dan was a gentleman. I remember hacking through a set at one of LT's shows in Grand Rapids and Dan paid me a nice compliment afterwards. His guitars were beautiful!

Mark S. Miller

Depew, NY, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 5:00 pm    

it's funny Dan lived 5 blocks from me and I never knew him and then he moved. Kurt was kind enough to help set me up staying with Dan in St louis his last year there. I made a true friend for life that weekend. Jerry and Kurt, I can assure you guys that you had a very special friend. He could not say enough about both of you that weekend. After the show Dan and I talked a few times and he kept asking me to come down to his place and stay a couple of days. I said "I'm coming Dan!" When Kurt called me and said that Dan had passed I just stop in my tracks. To this day I regret not making that trip and can not tell you how many times I have this thought even 2 years later. Once I was talking to Dan about some steel playing and CD's and a couple days later there is this huge envolepe in the mailbox and inside are some CD's of all kind of steel stuff. Once again I have been blessed to meet and spend some time with a very special person. Mark