The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Report on our trip to I.S.G.C.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Report on our trip to I.S.G.C.
Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2008 5:55 pm    

We almost didn't make it this year for several reasons but stayed determined and were so glad we did.
My brother Glenn, David Wallace (builder 0f custom guitars)and Dr. Raleigh Jenkins made the trip in my van. We have promoted Fulawka Steel Guitars since 1992 when we met the great man himself, Ed Fulawka. Ed regretted that He couldn't make the trip this year, but sent His regards and love to our many friends.
We arrived Thur. afternoon, got the room set up with two Fulawka steels, mine and Butch Cornwell's, both 12 stringers. We encouraged folks to try them out, but not many players accepted our offers. Butch and I played a few numbers as old friends began to drift in. Red Kilby, Jackie, great bass player/singer from texas, new friend Gene Brown, fiddler from Texas, Roger Edgington, master steel player from San Antonio, among others. Met some new friends, Nick Nixon along with another great singer from Mo. didn't remember his name.
We were treated and honored to meet leona Williams who graced the Fulawka room for about 1 1/2 hour concert on Friday night. We had twin fiddles, Gene and our canadian friend (can't remember his name, Roger on steel, Jim Loessberg on drums, Glenn and Cris Caruso on bass, in other words, we had the "A" team on board! I floated out of the room on a natural "high". Could'nt go to sleep, could'nt shut off the music in my head.

Sat got to witness Norm Hamlett, Joe Wright, two others in the Peavey room which was unbelievable! Surprise visits by Jack Greene, Barbara Mandrell, Dolly Parton, Johnny Bush, made this Convention a very special event.

My good friend, Rob Parker was in His usual excellent form as M/C, assisting Stoney Stonecipher @ the Mike. It goes without saying that the staff led by the incomparable Bobby Caldwell is a world class group of professionals. I have to mention that my friend of many years, David "puddin" Russell has developed into one of the most versatile Fiddle players anywhere and has been thus for years. I've failed to tell Him in the past so here's to you, David, We love you, Son!

Another honor was to meet Joe Turner and His lovely wife. I've never heard better tone from a player, instrument, and system. Joe's execution and style is exactly what I would play IF only I could!! But I can't! Pickin with you Joe was a highlight for me. Hope to do it again soon.

We were treated to another concert by Bobby Prim and His son Robbie, from Shrieveport. Bobby is another great singer, and Robbie is excellent on that black P/P Emmons, and a good singer, entertainer as well. We had quite a time Sat afternoon in the Fulawka room, playing plenty of shuffles and swing tunes.

There were many great moments, to many to mention here. Thanks to Howie for the drums/drumming and sound, Butch for His help and use of equipment, Ed for the great Fulawka steel guitars,David for building those fabulous guitars, Roger, Jim, Dottie, Faye, Amber, Glenn and all the Friends who support us in The Fulawka year after year. I know I've left some names out, but remember that I'm approaching old age and ask you to forgive my shortcomings. I urge everyone to make every effort to attend and support the ISGC and other regional shows. I promise you will be rewarded with the finest music/talent this side of Heaven. You can not hear music like this anywhere else, and you never know what you will miss!!!I am so glad that we made the effort to go this year, for we would have missed one of the musical highpoints of our lives!!Til next time, God bless our musical family Lonnie

gene brown

Bowie, Texas Montague
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2008 4:17 pm    

Lonnie was glad you could make it to the show this year.I didn't know I was going untill it was time to head out. That was one of the best jam sessions I have played in. You are a great guitar player,and the talent,Leona,Jackie,the fiddle player from Canada,Jim Lossburg,was great. Keep in touch and hope you can make it to Dallas. Your friend Gene

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2008 2:26 pm    

Lonnie, really glad that you made it, I'd really have missed our visits.
The Falawka Room is always a great place to hang out.
I was glad that I got the opportunity to see and Hear Roger again. Great player.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Chris Caruso

Merrimack, NH USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2008 3:56 pm    

All I can say is that it's always a pleasure to play with Glenn and Lonnie in the Fulawka room. They always make me feel welcome.That Wallace bass was a fine instrument. I also want to thank Glenn for letting me sit in on the Leona Williams set. Truly a hilight for me this year.

Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2008 4:31 pm     hi

with all that talent I know I was not missed but I missed being there, That room was jumping last year and this one was even better.

ernie

Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2008 6:13 pm    

Ernest, will you adopt me and take me with you next time you go? I've always wanted to go, but never had the money. Larry

Ernest Cawby

Post  Posted 9 Sep 2008 6:24 pm     Hi

lARRY GET 3 OF US AND SPLIT THE EXPENSES, Lets plan a trip to Dalas next year, it is a big show, some like it better than St.Louis. We would get to see roger E and talk airplanes. I;ll have my williams at the show I sure miss it,it sits there and says practice practice. See you
sat,

as ever

ernie

Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2008 6:27 am    

I just wanted to say a special thanks to Lonnie and the gang at the Fulawka room for once again making this trip wonderful. It's always a pleasure to jam with you folks and a special thank you to Jim Loessberg for letting me use his Emmons and amp for the jam.

I missed you this year Ernest. Maybe we will see you at Dallas.

Ernest Cawby

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2008 5:44 pm     Hi

ROGER I FLEW IN THIS SHOW as the red Baron angainst Snoopy and got shot down it was in the scrip. Was a lot of fun, RC of cource.

as ever ernie

Red Kilby

Pueblo, CO, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2008 9:24 pm    

Hi Lonnie, thanks always for the invite to play and sing with You and Glenn in Fulawka Room. It is always such a great time, I sure missed Eddie though this year!!!!!!!

Roger you played awesome my friend, and Gene what can I say, some Great Texas Fiddle can't wait to play with you again in Texas.

Can't wait till next year allready!!!!!!

I had another special treat happen to me in the Fulawka Room this year, Pretty Miss Leona Williams, and the Great Nick Nixon did harmony vocals for me on my show, what a fun time!!!!!!!

www.redkilby.com