The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Great New Mexico Show last weekend
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2008 9:07 am    

If you were not there you missed out. Mike scheduled it the same weekend as the 23rd Annual Shake and Bake ---- don't know what Shake and Bake is ?????? I did not either but I do now!

It is a BIG belly dancing convention and was in the same hotel we were in. There were ladies from all over the country plus Canada in attendance. Friday night they had a "show" and I sure wished David Wright could have been there -- Roy Rosetta and Barbra have details too.

Now for the show. It was great - this was the second jam and first jam / show that Mike Castleberry organized and I think everyone had a great time.

There will be a jam in the Pheonix area (when it gets a little cooler) and we are all looking forward to the Show in January. Planning is under way and the show will be at the Grace Inn (again this year) January 22, 23 & 24.
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 7:39 am    

A great show in Albuquerque last weekend. Barbara and I hurried home so we could take part in the tropical storm "Edouard" party which came to town early this morning Rolling Eyes but we're happy to say that we are O.K. and had no damage Very Happy.
Mike Castlebury did a super job of putting on a great show and jam. Mike did everything right from radio advertizing to stage lighting, tirelessly working to make everyone involved with the show confortable and entertain those who came to see the show.
Joe Naylor said it best when he said "if you wern't there you missed a great show". All of the players, too many names to mention for fear of missing someone's name, were from the western part of this great U.S.A. and they really shined when on stage. I had the privilege of working with some very talented musicians in the staff band....wow.... they played great.
All in all it made for a great time and we would like to thank Mike Castleberry for inviting us up to be a small part of this fine show.
...NOW... as for the "Shake and Bake" crew that Joe mentioned. We got caught up in a belly dance show in the lounge and boy did these ladies put on a show. Of course I had no idea what they were trying to do Winking , but they seemed to be having fun and the room was packed, so we watched in amazement.
Thanks again Mike for a great time and we are looking forward to seeing all of our west coast friends, once again, at the S.W.S.G.A. show at the Grace Inn in Phoenix on January 22, 23 & 24, 2009.
...Roy and Barbara

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 5:02 pm    

Joe it was my pleasure to be there this year. Mike Castleberry and friends worked really hard to put this gathering in motion. Thanks Mike and thanks staff band. And thanks to the one's that attended our little Q.& A. seminar, it was a blast.

Red Kilby

Pueblo, CO, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 6:38 pm    

I would also like to send out a special thanks to Mike and Dee, and everyone that put this great show on in New Mexico this past weekend, Linda and I had a Blast.

To all you folks that did not attend, you missed out. It was a fun time had by everyone there. Belly Dancers and all, and man were there lots of them!!! I think that Roy and Barbara , and Billy and Meriul , and Mike and Dee, got quite an eyeful!!! Laughing Laughing Come on guys fill us all in!!!
Whoa! Whoa!

Thanks so much Mike for the invite to play and sing at this show, I only hope we can do it again real soon. You did a Fantastic Job.

Joe, thanks for all the cool stories and keeping the show going in between acts, To everyone out there that did not know, Joe Naylor was our MC for the evening and did a Bang Up Job!!!

Roy you did a Great Job as always my friend, it is always a pleasure to get to pick with you. Thanks for the great intro on 11 months and 29 days!!! See ya in St. Louis.

I can't tell you how well everyone played, you just had to be there and hear it, IT WAS AWESOME.

Can't wait to come Arizona in January 2009 for the S.W.S.G.A. Show, Thanks for letting us be part of it.

Red and Linda

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2008 9:02 am    

Gee...
I thought that what happens in Albuquerque STAYS in Albuquerque!! My lips are sealed regarding the belly-dancers! I must say it was interesting!

But the reason Meriul and I were there was for the fine show put on by Mike and Dee. The venue was very nice, just the right size for the gathering of steel players, singers and band. Everyone played great and much enjoyment was shared with the audience. It was great to be with friends and steel buddies like Roy and Barbara, Mike and Dee, LaRue and Jim, Joe and Denise (who sings quite well), Red and Linda, Curt and Willie Wood, and many others. We enjoyed John's Curio Cowboys who warmed up the event with some great old time western swing using both his Quad Stringmaster non-pedal, and his ZB D10 pedal steel.

We also enjoyed Patrick Hickey, Fred Justice, of course Mike Castleberry, LaRue Boyle, Ron Sodos, and all the great back up musicians. Roy and Barbara Rosetta are always great to be with.

We would like everyone to mark their calendars for the biggest Steel Guitar Show west of Dallas that we have on January 22, 23 and 24th at the Grace Inn and Convention Center in Phoenix. As details become available, we will have them posted to our website: www.swsteelguitar.com

Thanks Mike for a wonderful time!

Billy and Meriul Easton

Mike Castleberry

El Paso, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2008 7:43 am     More pics will be available soon-Thanks to all who helped

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 10:05 am    

I hear that there more photos on the way
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP