The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Jazz Room at the ISGC 2008
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Jazz Room at the ISGC 2008
Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2008 2:40 pm    

Well I'm finally getting to a post, sorry it took so long. This year the Jazz Room will be held in the Jefferson Rooms again Saturday August 30th from 10 am to about 1:45 pm. So far the confirmed players are Jim Cohen (3rd year in a row), Dave Easley (what a big hit he was last year), Brian Ercek, and Maurice "Reece Anderson. Reece has been sick and isn't sure if he will be able to come to the ISGC, but I hope he will. Again that would be Reece's 3rd year. I have asked Buddy Emmons and Paul Franklin. Everybody cross your fingers on that one. Paul played great last year, what a smokin' version of Oleo, WOW. The whole schedule has to be in to Scotty by mid July so I'll keep everyone posted till then. The rhythm section again will be Kyle Honeycutt drums, Bob DeBoo acoustic bass, and me on guitar. Doug Jernigan wasn't up for it this year but he supported it by playing it the last 2 years in a row. What a great job he did and we all owe him a big thank you. I think he'll be back in the future but we'll miss him this year. As it gets closer I'll post info on my website http://jimstahlhut.com/

Jim

Last edited by Jim Stahlhut on 9 Jul 2008 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2008 6:09 pm    

Yee Haw, I can hardly wait. This is the best part of ISGC in my opinion. Although the "Idol" spoof this year sounds like it may be a hoot.

Just a couple of months to go.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Zeek Duff

Longmont, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2008 7:05 pm    

Hey Jim,
Any chance of getting an event like this in the Denver area? Since I joined this forum earlier this year, I've seen a LOT of players here from Colorado. Sure would be nice to check it out every day and still be home at night... Smile I met Jimmy Day about 32 years ago, and this clip from the ISGC in 1997 just makes me grin. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hVx-cSSFDH0&feature=user Great backup band too, Bobby Caldwell smokes on 6 string too, makes me wanna playplayplay... Where was I? Oh yeah, DENVER, please! Smile

Best regards,
...z
http://www.myspace.com/zeekduffmusic
http://www.cdbaby.com/zeekduff
Http://www.facebook.com/zeekduff
http://www.twitter.com/zeekduff

Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2008 1:54 pm    

Zeek,
There is the Denver Steel Show on July 20th, But I doubt if any jazz will be played except by Jim Cohen.

Buddy Emmons sent me a very nice letter (a little sad though) and he can't do the Jazz Room. What a great guy he is and we'll sure miss him. I haven't heard back from Paul Franklin (I need to call him back). So.....Please post here 1 or 2 Jazz Playing steelers you would like to see in the Jazz Room this year and I'll get an idea of who everyone wants to hear. No more than 1 or 2 please. So far we have confirmed Maurice "Reece" Anderson, Dave Easley, Jim Cohen, and Brian Ercek. That leaves 2 players to be added.

THANKS,
Jim

Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2008 7:40 pm    

Will Buzz Evans be there this year?

Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2008 8:28 am    

I can't locate Buzz does any body have his number? I'd love to have him play.

Colm are you still up for video taping?

Jim

Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2008 8:46 am    

Yes Jim, I am available and looking forward to it! I will be getting in on Friday.

(I will just have to go to bed early Friday night instead of 3 am or so.)

Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2008 2:30 pm    

Zeek,
I forgot Glen Taylor will play at the Denver show. I think of his stuff as world beat music, but some would say he plays jazz. Who knows! Also Dave Easley will be playing the Dazzle Supper Club with me on July 29th. That will be modern Jazz for sure.

I've gotten lot's of suggestions for players in the Jazz Room so if you've got an idea let me know soon!!!
Jim

Last edited by Jim Stahlhut on 25 Jun 2008 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zeek Duff

Longmont, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2008 3:09 pm    

Thanks Jim!
I think I can make it on Sunday July 20th, for a few hours at least. Hard for me to travel far, and stay in one place for long. I'll keep watching Dick's site for news of who's playing when, so I can catch a few good players, hopefully some funky Blues and/or Jazzy stuff.

Also, I'll try to bring my new Simmons U-SD12 that Bob is putting the final adjustments on as we speak. It's unique, or at least, unusual. I hope I'll be able to demo it or get someone who can call a U-12 their main ax to try it out. Maybe, get some orders for Bob Simmons, a real steel craftsman and fine gentleman, too.

Best regards,
...z
http://www.myspace.com/zeekduffmusic
http://www.cdbaby.com/zeekduff
Http://www.facebook.com/zeekduff
http://www.twitter.com/zeekduff

Duane Brown

Reno,Nevada USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2008 7:08 pm     Buzz Evans

Jim, I talked with Neil Flanz in Dallas and he has Buzz's new phone number in Austin. Neil's email is neilflanz@austin.rr.com. Hope this helps.
I really enjoyed the jazz room last year and look forward to it this year.Thanks for putting it on and thinking of my friend Buzz again.
Duane

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2008 4:22 pm    

By the way, the date is Sat. August 30 (not 29th). Jim, better fix that up there pal.

Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2008 2:55 pm    

Thanks Jim! I got it.
I hope to have the complete schedule by this weekend. I need to get everything into Mike Scott by Monday so it will be in the program. (Jim's helping there too!)

Jim

Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2008 8:43 am    

Russ Wever has confirmed he'll be playing in the Jazz Room. He played great in our first year. So we have Maurice Anderson, Dave Easley, Jim Cohen, Brian Ercek, And Russ Wever.
Jim

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2008 12:04 pm    

Looking forward to hearing Brian Ercek for the first time; new blood! Smile

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2008 2:45 pm    

Yee Haw, just a little over a month now.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Dirk B

Harrisburg, MO, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2008 6:48 am    

Jim,
Glad to hear the jazz show is back!!! It's the hit of the show for me.
A small suggestion: can we get Bob DeBoo to turn up that bass a little louder? Man, that guy can play!

Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2008 2:58 pm     Jazz Room lineup

First off Brian Ercek has cancelled. Good news though Jim Cohen got Buck Reid to take his place. I did talk to Buzz Evans and he wanted to do it but had some very lucrative gigs so he couldn't do it. I'm waiting for one more player to confirm and I have a backup for him if he can't do it. YES, we will get Bob DeBoo to turn up you can count on that. I haven't even been able to hear him on stage. He will have an amp on both sides of the stage this year.
So the lineup again is Reece Anderson, Dave Easley, Buck Reid, Jim Cohen, Russ Wever, and ???. The rhythm section will be me on guitar, Bob DeBoo on acoustic bass, and Kyle Honeycutt on drums.
Again this is going to be a great show!!!!!

Jim
http://jimstahlhut.com/

Soon I'll have the schedule.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2008 8:56 pm    

Sorry to miss Brian, but delighted that Buck can make it. Now we're really gonna have a 'LARGE' time!
Wink

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2008 8:38 am    

I see that Jim Lossberg is on the convention list, have you talked to him about the Jazz Room yet? Great to hear that Buck Reid has agreed to play.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2008 3:01 pm    

Well, it's getting closer, I guess I better start looking at flights. Smile Smile Smile

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 3:27 pm     Jazz Room

Hi Jimbeaux, sure wish we could have gotten together when you were in NOLA. Next time.
Now, about your line up for your show-John Heinrich will be there on Scotty's program this year. All the jazz fans would love to hear him play I bet. After I heard John play "Take Five" at one of our Deep South shows, I now know that that song just belongs to John. Great Player. Look up his site with Google and check this great player out.
Thanks. see you soon.
(I will be in Nashville doing a new cd project this coming week. Going to try and play a few big band songs like "Unforgettable" , "Almost Like Being in Love" and one original song, one Hawaiian song, "Lovely Hula Girl" and a few western swing tunes. Will have a Western Swing Hall of Fame member, Gene Breeden, on gutar and that will really help me out.
Bill Stafford

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2008 6:17 pm    

Bill.I would like to have that CD of you playing those Big Band tunes, all my favorites and on that 14 stringer should be all Great Bill Stafford ...So let me know when you have it ready to ship. Take care...al.SmileSmile

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 2:58 pm     New CD

HI Al, I just returned home this afternoong from that session at Breeden's studio in Nashville. Had a great time and those session players challenged me to my limit. Really enjoyed it with those high calibre players Gene Breeden rounded up for me. And Gene played the very best leat guitar you could ever hear. So tasty, clean and just right. I will burn you a copy from my master copy and send it to you tomorrow. It will not have a label yet. Hopefuflly it will be fully ready by St. Louis. Sam Hunter was the bass player and I have yet to hear a better player anywhere. And, Sam is only 15 years YOUNG! I wanted to pay him three times scale but Gene is bringing him along just fine-slow and easy. Piano and Bass did the intro to "Unforgettable" and Sam played all the songs just the best I have had the pleasure and privildge to have ever been playing music with. Watch out world, Sam Hunter is coming. Made me so proud to have him on this session. After I heard Sam on the first few measures of that song, I stopped the practice run and told him to play just what he feels and it would have to be just perfect. Great talent!!! Reads and understands all the complicated charts and can play it right the firsttime. Gene's lead knocked me out on all his leads and he played some great vamp acoustic Shamblin chord structure throughout and I was so proud that the drummer, Barry Wayne, broke out his brushes. Most of the players on this session just got back from New York the day before. Had a big show job there. Take care and thanks for the request. Hope you like it....Best tone I have ever had in a studio and my EXCEL and even impressed Gene Breeden-ant that takes some doing. Proud of my EXCEL too!! We will have a demo room at Scotty's this year in St. Louis so come by and visit.
Bill Stafford
Bill Stafford