The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA 12 String SuperSlide Pics And Sound Bites
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2008 8:54 am    

It's here! There's just too many pictures and sound files to post them all here so I'll provide a link to my MSA SuperSlide web page. I have 47 sound files completed which I hope to tab out for anyone interested in this tuning.

12 String MSA SuperSlide

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2008 10:43 am    

What a cool soundin guitar! Those sound bites are wonderful.

Terry Farmer

Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2008 1:17 pm    

Nice looking ax Greg. I love my widespaced 10 string SS. I look forward to your experimentations and Tab for this instrument and the Reece Tuning. I'll be checking your website often. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for the wealth of sound bites and Tabs you've already shared with us foromites.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2008 3:40 pm    

I can't get these sound files to work on my computer - Windows with a Firefox browser.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2008 4:48 pm    

Mark,

These are .wma files and should play with almost any level of WMP (Windows Media Player). They play on both of my computers here and at work. Try downloading the latest version just in case your's is really old. Also I tried my Mozilla Firefox here and it works as well as Explorer.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2008 5:11 pm    

Nice!!! Thanks for posting the clips, Greg. I have been very curious about the sound of the SuperSlide. It sounds really clean and strong through your Steel King. I think a SuperSlide may be in my future!

To anyone who has a 10-String SuperSlide... I'd like to know the string spacing on the 10-string: at the nut and at the bridge, how far apart are the strings (center to center or the space between the strings)? Also, what is the measurement from string 1 to string 10 at the nut, and at the bridge? thanks.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2008 10:38 am    

I fixed up some faulty picture links so all the pics should be viewable now in full size.

Doug, I'll post the spacing on the 12 string also at both ends of the guitar. Having played the 12 string for a few hours, I'm not sure I'd ever go back to 10 strings for C6th. The extra top strings give you the equivalent of the E9th chromatics but they also give you a lot more straight and slant chords and single note runs. And you get all this without chopping off the bottom of the tuning.

Greg

Dave Bader

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2008 3:27 pm    

What is the button looking thing up by the fretboard? It doesn't look like it's attached to the circuit.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2008 3:53 pm    

See here for a picture and description of the MSA Freedom Bar which fits into the hole (currently filled with a black plug) in the side of the body. The top pushbutton, when depressed, allows the Freedom Bar to extend or retract into SuperSlide’s hollow body.

MSA Freedom Bar

Greg

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2008 3:56 pm    

MSA has just informed me that the MSA SuperSlide body is NOT made of plastic. It's actually made of epoxy impregnated birch!

Greg

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2008 6:12 pm    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
It's actually made of epoxy impregnated birch!

Greg

Alright!.....Who did that????.....Fess up!........

Terry Farmer

Post  Posted 28 Jul 2008 7:57 pm    

Doug, here is a quote from an old forum posting concerning the SuperSlide.

" the sring spacing on the 6-string is .425 at the bridge and .369 at the nut. Should a 7th string be added the string spacing stays the same. If an 8th string is added the spacing is very slightly narrowed to .384 and .339 at the nut.

On the 10 string neck the spacing is .375 (3/8") at the bridge and .312 at the nut. Should 12 strings be added the string spacing is .334 at the bridge (which is common on most pedal steel guitars) and .284 at the nut.

It's possible to order the specific string spacing desired on either the 6 or 10 string neck. In addition the spacing can be easily changed when and if desired by changing out the "string thru" block and the nut."

To get the center to center measurements from one to ten just multiply the spacing by 9.

Being used to the wide spacing of 6-string lap steels myself, I ordered the widest possible 10-string spacing the neck, nut and string thru block would accomodate. Mine is a custom 10 string spacing of .420 at the bridge and .347 at the nut.

I also got the parts for the 12 string conversion, tried it, but went back to the wide 10.

Everyone's spacing tastes are different, but that's one of the cool features of this guitar. You can have it darn near any way you want it!

Further, the precise engineering, design and craftsmanship of these guitars are second to none IMHO. The guitars are fabricated in an aerospace micro precision machine shop (I visited the facility in Dallas) and beautifully finished by hand.

For more info pull up the MSA website http://www.msapedalsteels.com/html/homess.html and/or contact Kyle Bennett or Reece Anderson. Very Happy

Last edited by Terry Farmer on 28 Jul 2008 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Terry Farmer

Post  Posted 28 Jul 2008 8:07 pm    

Greg, hope you don't mind me adding my 2 cents to your thread. Here's my baby.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2008 9:17 pm    

Thanks Terry and Greg for the info. The string spacing on the 10-string is exactly the same as the Alkire Eharp (the first version, Epiphone).

Thanks for posting the pictures and sound clips of these awesome guitars!

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2008 9:58 pm    

I had edited my earlier post with a question regarding the material and that I was under the impression that it was in fact some kind of wood - but for whatever reason the post "didn't take."

But I'm glad to hear that Greg got the straight scoop: epoxy impregnated birch.

I guess it is the hollow body that kind of gives it an updated Rick Bakelite vibe, but without the problems with keeping those old beauties in tune!

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2008 8:44 am    

The string width at the nut is 3.123" and at the bridge it is 3.73". String spacing at the nut is 0.284" and at the bridge it is 0.340". The spacing at the nut is precisely determined by the grooves in the nut and it's very uniform. The spacing at the bridge varies slightly per string based on exactly how you position the strings over the bridge bar. I double checked these measurements with a precision caliper by measuring the gap between each actual string and then by measuring the outside gap of all the strings minus 1/2 the diameter of each outside high and low string string. A double check shows that 11 times the average string spacing yields a close approximation of the total string widths.

Greg

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2008 8:54 am    

Thanks Greg.

Dan Sawyer

Studio City, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2008 10:50 am    

Thanks for the soundfiles, Greg. I've always wanted to try a Superslide 8-string.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2008 12:13 pm    

Dan,

I just posted some tab in the Forum tab section and it is a new sound file with a lot of chromatic strings. As much fun as my Rondo SX lap steel is, it's no SuperSlide. I think they are both good buys for what they do. It would be nice to compare the SSlide with a frying pan for sustain and tone. Those always seem to be sound so warm, clear and have great sustain up and down the neck. Perhaps then one oculd decide whether it makes sense to spend the $$$$ on a SSLide or a vintage instrument. Ignoring tone, I like the contemporary look of the SSlide. The machined keyhead looks awesome!

Greg