The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. St. Louis: I.S.G.C.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  St. Louis: I.S.G.C.
DeWitt Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2008 11:24 am    

SCOTTY'S INTERNATIONAL STEEL GUITAR CONVENTION

We’ve come up with what has the makings of a very entertaining Set to take us up to the Dinner Break on Saturday at the Convention. We’re going to do our own version of the hit T.V. series, “American Idol”, featuring four unknown, (to the Convention) steel players competing with each other for the Grand Prize of performing his (or her) own THIRTY MINUTE SET immediately following the competition.

Since we all had such a great time with our last big Feature Show, “Operation Russless”, at the good-natured expense of our own Russ Hicks, we thought the least we could do was to allow him the opportunity, and great responsibility, of selecting our Four Finalists from among all of the steelers who want to enter this competition and plan to attend the Convention in September 2008.

One more thing - ONLY PLAYERS that have never played on the Main Stage at the Convention are qualified to enter!

To enter, send your song (steel guitar instrumental) to:

Russ Hicks
1020 West Sears Road
Pegram TN 37143
Along with a brief Bio and current phone number.
Scotty

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2008 11:44 am    

This is a Great Idea, Scotty, and a great way to get some new blood and new excitement going at the convention! I hope you plan to have 3 judges, each of whom will offer (constructive!) feedback to each contestant right after their performance. (But you don't need to have one playing the role of the nasty Englishman! Whoa!) Then the judges confer and pick the winner. Great idea!

J'beaux

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2008 1:17 pm    

Idea

Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2008 2:07 pm    

Speaking of "That Englishman".. I hope David Hartley is able to participate in this contest.. Very Happy

Last edited by Rick Nicklas on 8 Jun 2008 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jeremy Drawbaugh

scottsboro, al usa
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2008 2:55 pm    

DOES PLAYING ON THE TALENT SHOW DISQUALIFY YOU?
BOSS DD-3 BOSS CHORUS EFFECT
NEUBAR REVERB
NASHVILLE 112/400
TELONICS VOLUME PEDAL
STEELER'S CHOICE PAK-A-SEAT

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2008 7:43 pm    

I don't think so; Scotty just said you can't have played on the 'Main Stage'. That is understood to be different from the Talent Show.

DeWitt Scott

Post  Posted 8 Jun 2008 12:00 am     I.S.G.C.

Russ Hicks will be the one to select the judges. I believe that Russ will be one of the judges but I better let him tell you who the other two judges will be. The Talent Search players should be eligible for the contest. I've never seen the American Idol TV show so I will leave all the particulars in the capable hands of Russ Hicks! Scotty

Bob Frederick

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2008 9:16 am    

What is the final entry date for the song?

Thanks

Russ Hicks

Pegram, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2008 8:47 am    

Sorry, J'beaux.....but the 'nasty' Simon will be one of the judges....I'll not say his name, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out who he is....I'm sure he'll be able to 'critique' the four finalists and still make them like it....(or at least laugh thru their tears). I need to stress that along with the contestant's talent there better be a strong sense of humor....the other two judges should be able to be more realistic in acknowledging the talents and abilities of the players....not that our 'Simon' won't do that too....he's pretty unpredictable, but I don't want to give away his true identity, if I haven't already. BTW, since I'm picking the finalists I feel I shouldn't be one of the judges; along with 'Simon' we'll have a male and a female judge, all three being steel guitar 'Stalwarts'.
Come on guys, this will be a ton of fun, and as everyone should know, noone will be seriously embarrassed on the set, and it will be a great way to showcase some new talent...we all know they're out there, maybe this will bring some of them 'out of the woodwork'.
Let's have those entrys...the deadline is August 1, so we don't have a lot of time.
rh

David Hartley

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2008 5:16 am     ?????????

Scotty? Your opening thread said September? I thought the show dates are at the end of August on the 28,29,30 and 31st?

Confused David Hartley

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2008 8:17 am    

You have the dates correct Dave. Labor Day is always the first Monday in September. The ISGC is always on the weekend preceding Labor Day, or as we call it, Labor Day Weekend. Now get your song in to Russ! Very Happy We're looking forward to seeing and hearing you pick.

DeWitt Scott

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2008 10:18 am     I.S.G.C.

The dates of this years International Steel Guitar Convention are:

Thursday, August 28th
Friday, August 29th
Saturday, August 30th
Sunday, August 31st
The "American Idol" will be on Saturday, August 30th

Always 4 days prior to the Labor Day. 1st Monday in September. Do you know why we have it over the Labor Day Weekend? Back in the early 1970s we didn't have any particular date and had Buddy Emmons booked. Buddy would have to cancel unless we could come up with a different date. I chose the Labor Day Weekend. With only a couple times when the hotel asked us to change our dates we have been on the Labor Day Weekend ever since. Scotty

Scotty

Raybob Bowman

S. Lake Tahoe, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2008 12:21 am    

Do we have to use snail mail or can we provide a web link?

Raybob

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2008 1:40 am    

Will the female judge completely overlook the music and tell us how good we look ? I sure hope so, we should be able to get some ( any) positive feedback if we make the cut.

this is a great adventure for Scotty's show..heck, if Hollywood finds out this could be a new TV show !

tp

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2008 7:36 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
Will the female judge completely overlook the music and tell us how good we look ?

Not only that, Tony, but the tabloids will be running stories about you and that female judge, just to keep the pot well-stirred... Whoa! After that, we're likely to see pictures of you on the beach with Jennifer Aniston and read reports that Brad Pitt is mad at you for something. I can't wait.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2008 2:05 am    

double strike

Last edited by Tony Prior on 14 Jun 2008 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2008 2:07 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Tony Prior wrote:
Will the female judge completely overlook the music and tell us how good we look ?

After that, we're likely to see pictures of you on the beach with Jennifer Aniston , I can't wait

"Awright , now we are gettin' somewhere......I can't wait to see me in pictures on the beach with Jennifer Aniston !! "

you can keep the Steel Guitar part of the equation !

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2008 11:00 am     Operation Steel Idol

Russ,
If you have any special needs for the contest as far as Mics, Setup etc give me a heads up please, Does this mean I get to work with Laney again...

E mail me if you need any extra items etc..Ill have Wireless mics and extra mics for judges etc as you will need them.

Well also be using the Video system again this year so well want to have our IDOL contestant dead center stage so we can be sure to showcase the better side....

Any needs or thoughts just drop me a line.

Don Lanier
dlaudio@earthlink.net
https://www.facebook.com/Pearlprocase

Russ Hicks

Pegram, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2008 9:26 am     STEEL IDOL

Thanks Don....BTW, folks, since I do at least twenty steel shows a year....I don't know if it's a good thing or bad that I have the time to do them Smile...naturally I have the good fortune to meet most of the steelers on the shows, and fortunately become good friends with most of them. Please don't let that fact keep you from entering this contest...I have a lot of good friends who want and deserve to play on the main stage and I'll just have to be trusted not to let our friendship be a factor...I may lose some of them because of it, just kidding, but don't let that cost you the opportunity of maybe playing in St. Louis. Keep those tapes and CDs coming.
Love to all,
Russ

Brian Straub

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2008 6:18 pm     Steel Idol

Russ,

Can you give some more info regarding the format for the competition? Similar to the TV show? Backing band? Also, only one instumental song on CD sent to you correct?

Thanks.

Russ Hicks

Pegram, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2008 9:14 am    

Hey Brian....as ridiculous as it may be, I've never watched an episode of American Idol, maybe I should, but what we have in mind is the four finalists performing their winning entry, one at a time naturally, then being critiqued by our illustrious panel of judges, seriously and then maybe not so seriously (Simon)...after all four have performed, the panel picks a winner who then does his (or her) own set, as many or as few songs as they like, up to thirty minutes...then we all applaud and go eat.
The entry should be one song on a CD or cassette....I'll chart the four that make the contest and 'Bobby and the Boys' will back them up on the show....the prize of your own set also includes free 'passage' to the show.
I appreciate the inquiries but we don't have a lot of time....gettem' in, because I would assume that for some, being a finalist may determine whether or not you come....maybe not.
Good Luck or 'Lots of Luck'
Russ

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2008 2:10 am    

In all fairness to the evil Simon, he is actually the one who is correct about the talent . He doesn't actually offer any fluff with the critique. If the singing is bad, he's gonna tell you it's bad, and stop right there. He's not the one who says "you are a lousy singer but have nice hair " !

Last edited by Tony Prior on 29 Jun 2008 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Tony Farr

Madison, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2008 4:54 am    

Russ, Do you think I would have a chance of being on the show? Winking I did get to play on one of the first shows that Scotty had back in it's early days, it's been such along time ago, it's amost like it didn't happen. Some time around 72or 73. Question

Russ Hicks

Pegram, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2008 6:56 pm    

Hey Tony....send me a song (tape, CD, whatever) and we'll see....I'm only picking the contestants for the Steel Idol set....Scotty still doesn't let me pick who performs for the weekend Smile Smile.
I love all you guys...keep the CDs coming,
Russ