The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Member
Johnny Roberts

Anderson, SC, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2002 6:37 am    

After a period of observation, I have decided to join the Forum. I have enjoyed listening to steel since I was a kid over 50 years ago. My dad's steel playing influenced me greatly. Like him, I became a fan of those steelers of the '40's and '50's (Jerry Byrd, Speedy West, Herb Remington, etc.). I have continued to follow steel closely down through the years (Emmons, Day, Chalker, Tharpe, etc.).

It is refreshing to discover new directions (Mike Perlowin's "Firebird Suite", Jim Cohen's "Finally Here" just as it is good to appreciate the history of our beloved instrument.

I must say a big thank you to Bobby Lee for this forum. It is wonderful.

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 25 May 2002 6:41 am    

Are you Kayton's son?

Don Crawford

Buford, Ga USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2002 11:06 am    

Welcome aboard Johnny! Great to hear of another Steel Man in the Atlanta area. I'm sure you will enjoy the forum, B0B did a wonderful thing when he started this! Again, WELCOME ABOARD!
Don Crawford

Johnny Roberts

Anderson, SC, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2002 12:29 pm    

I am not related to Kayton Roberts or Smiley Roberts.
I grew up in northwest Florida (Bonifay), about 18 miles south of the Alabama border and about 50 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico.
I've always found it to be intriguing that several steel guitar greats came from that region (Curly Chalker - Enterprise, AL, Julian Tharpe - Ozark, AL, Don Helms - New Brocton, AL). One of my earliest steel memories is seeing Julian Tharpe playing for Bobby Jones at a Dothan, Alabama music park back about 1955 or 1956.

Tony Davis

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Post  Posted 27 May 2002 5:20 am    

Welcome Johnny....well if I was any relation to Kayton...I would yell it loud!!!..I only saw him once here with Hank and he was great.......but as for that Smiley guy...well.....I would seriously think about changing my name.....maybe Fred or Bill!!!!......just kidding Johnny..he's my buddy............welcome aboard
Tony