The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Some Opinions
Walter Jones

Athens, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2002 7:51 pm    

Sunday evening our youngest daughter Teresa will be admitted to the hospital for the birth of our first grandson, which we hope will be sometime Monday. I know that many expectant fathers and grandfathers take all kinds of baseballs, bats, basketballs, footballs, etc to the hospital. (can't you see this coming)

I wonder if I should take a steel guitar to the hospital for the new grandson. I haven't checked with Grandma or Mom & Dad but I bet that would be a first for hospital. Greg has all the pedal steels in Kentucky and I only have some lap steels here but hey, I read here about a lot of guys that started on a 6 string lap. What do you think?

Anyway we hope all goes well and maybe the next generation steel player will be born into the Jones family, nothing like getting them started early.

Our oldest granddaughter Sydney is 2 years old and really gives the Marrs RGS a workout when she comes down. She puts it on the floor, strums across it and slides the bar up and down the strings. She can't hurt the guitar any, that formica is pretty tough.

I know Uncle Greg can help her out when she gets a little older. Maybe I should just go for it, either a lap steel or a motorcycle.

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 4 May 2002 10:11 pm    

Go with the lap steel. Motorcycle insurance for newborns is too expensive.

Martin Weenick

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2002 11:45 pm    

Definately go with the lap steel, being it is her first you will probably have plenty of time to practice. Congradulations, I have four myself.

------------------

Martin W. Emmons LG III 3/5 Peavy 1000

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 May 2002 5:52 am    

I often wished I started Steel earlier in life, but never considered this early!

If a Steel Guitar is the first thing a newborn sees, they will bond with it.

Congrats Gramps!

[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 05 May 2002 at 02:52 PM.]

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 May 2002 6:55 am    

Yes good idea but also bring him BIG E's black album, he can listen to it on headphones while in the Nursery..
tp

P Perry

Lebanon, OH, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2002 9:28 am    

Walter,
Congratulations. Gail and I recently have experienced the first grandchild syndrom. From what I have seen in the last 3 and a half months, save the steel. You may need to pawn it, to off set the cost of grandmother spending. Best of luck!!
Phil Perry

Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2002 7:13 pm    

Walt, take a pedal steel. When that grandson comes you are going to need your lap for something else -- cuddling him. Congratulations.

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2002 9:02 pm    

Dad, Gotta agree with Fred on this one!!! How about I build a "mini" ZB Custom. Of course the Buck Owens records come with it. Uh Oh!!! Looks like I need to build 3 of them!! Get Sydney and Olivia going too.

Uncle Greg

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 6 May 2002 8:15 pm    

How about a Wah-Wah pedal?

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2002 7:56 pm    

Well I received a phone call this evening back stage at Renfro Valley. It was Grandpa Jones telling me that Tanner Lee, was brought into this world around 6:00pm. All things went well with no complications. Grandpa tells me he is easy to spot in the nursery. He is the only baby playing steel guitar!!!

Get em' started young!!!

Uncle Greg (the 3rd time)

Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2002 8:20 am    

I would go with the pedal steel..and have some extentions made for the baby's little legs!!!
GV

Walter Jones

Athens, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2002 9:11 am    

Well it's one week later than scheduled but as Greg said ,"everyone is doing fine" and that includes Grandma. The "Grandma stats" are 7lb 10 1/2 ozs & 19 1/2 inches long. I guess Tanner wasn't ready to start his new gig as Teresa came home last Monday from the hospital, but she returned on Friday morning 5/10/02 and Showtime was 6:08 PM.

They are coming home today and then I will be returning to Athens but Grandma is staying in Bellfountaine, Ohio for another week to help get things settled in at home.

Its our first Grandson and we are looking forward to spending a lot of time with him as well as the Granddaughters.Thanks for all the good wishes and we will see you all later.

Grandpa Jones (again)