The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  East TN Steel Guitar Seminar and Workshop
Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2002 2:36 pm    

Three of us east Tennessee steel players -- Tom Smith, Bobby Loveday and myself -- have been invited to present an all-day Steel Guitar Seminar and Workshop at the Rose Arts and Cultural Center in Morristown, TN on Saturday, July 13. The seminar is planned for the beginning to intermediate steel player and will close with a two-hour steel concert with a band.

Segments include: Lap Steel Guitar (10-12 noon), The Anatomy of the Pedal Steel Guitar (1-2 PM), The Nashville Number System (2-3 PM), The Nashville Sound (3-4 PM)and Live concert (4-6 PM). For more information and directions, go to www.rosecenter.org and click on "Steel Guitar Seminar and Workshop." (The announcement page is still in process).

It would be helpful if you would let me know whether any of you plan to attend so we would have an idea on the number of handouts to prepare. But this is not required. You can drop in for any or all of the segments at a nominal cost of $5.00 for the day.

We will also be assessing whether there is an interest in starting an East Tennessee Steel Guitar Club with quarterly local shows and perhaps, later, an annual regional show at a time not to conflict with the Chattanooga show. The Rose Center is an excellent facility for that purpose and Morristown (a city of 30,000) is centrally located between Knoxville and the Tri-Cities.

[This message was edited by Fred Layman on 21 April 2002 at 03:58 PM.]

Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2002 4:57 am    

Fred,
As you know I was trying to start and East Tn. Steel Association with the Jam that I organized last year. It was a labor of love..and I thought that there would be more interest...but...I guess I didn't put enough effort into it. I know that you're a proven organizer and I really appreciate the advice and attendance for the 2001 Jam. I know now that there IS interest..and I would be glad to play any part in this endevor.
Bob Hayes
Goruchyvet

Bob Strum

Anniston Alabama
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2002 6:18 pm    

I'll be there and I know you'll do a great show... as usual! Regards, Bob

Tim Hurst

Newport, TN
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2002 5:32 pm    

I never took any lessons from Tommy Smith, but he taught me a lot about steel guitar anyway. I played guitar in house bands at the Starlight in Greeneville and the Village Barn in Knoxville with him, so I spent many hours watching and listening to him and trying to soak some of it in.

John Heinrich

Whites Creek, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2002 6:35 am    

Hey Fred, If I'm not working I'd like to drop by as I know it'll be an excellent Seminar. I played Johnson City, TN., with a group this last Thursday, April, 26th, was that anywhere close to you?

Best regards,

John

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2002 6:35 pm    

Fred, I plan on being there, and YES to an East TN. Steel Guitar club. I have often thought about trying to get one going and have talked to others about it. They all seem to be enthused, but to see if that enthuisasm will turn into actually showing up for a meeting is something else. There are a lot of steelers in East TN, so I think a club could work if it was set up properly for all levels of players.

Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2002 8:05 pm    

Thanks, Bob H., Tim, Bob S. and John. I have emailed separately. Bob, your show was well attended and with good talent on the program for a first-time show. I may have incorrectly assumed that you haven't planned to sponsor another show. The last thing I need to do is to launch another show in addition to the Lexington show, so there would have to be a pretty strong response before I would want to take it on. Either way, your contacts, experience and playing are a valuable resource for an east Tennessee get-together, wherever it occurs.

Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 8:12 am    

Fred,
I heard that there was a jam/show being organized ..posabley in Mnt City,Tn by Brian Adams. If touched base with Herby Walace,Mrs. John Hughey, Tommy Dodd, and a few other pickers, and there was a positive response for them to attend a Jam/Show providing it could be arranged to fit into thier schedule. I know that you couldn't do it..but maybe we could discuss it with the participants at your seminar, along with the other agenda items..
Bob Hayes...Grouchyvet

Stoney Stonecipher

Knoxville, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 1:48 pm    

Hey Fred: I think this would be a good idea. I'm with you and willing to help any way I can......Stoney