The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Julian Dawson gigs in north Germany
Matt Dawson

Luxembourg, Europe
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2002 1:54 am    

Hi any steel player living in north Germany,
Ill be playing my old MSA D-10 classic with Julian Dawson for three gigs in Germany this week:

25.04.02 Hamburg/Lola
26.04.02 Husum/Speicher
27.04.02 Offenbach/Wiener Hof

Julian is promoting his new CD 'Hillbilly Zen' which features Gene Parsons from the Byrds on drums, guitar, vocals, banjo, harmonica, spoons bass etc..........Julian is needless to say a huge fan of the man!

We will be a trio of Julian on guitar and vocal, Andy Metcalfe (ex Softboys, Squeeze)on bass and accordeon and me on steel.

It was interesting learning Gene's parts 'cos he does this 'twang' on his A pedal where he just gives it a little real fast vibrato with his foot. Sounds great.
Hope to see you at a gig.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2002 9:21 am    

Matt,

That sounds like a great gig ! You guys coming to the states ?

Bob

Matt Dawson

Luxembourg, Europe
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2002 3:44 am    

No gigs planned in the USA with this lineup though Julian works there solo quite often.
As a European you have to persuade the authorities that there is not a single steel player in the USA available on the night of the gig. With 3171 members of this list to choose from that might be tough! Haha.
Matt

I'm not on Julian's new CD but its well worth a listen...an englishman's homage to growing up on American music . 'Hillbilly Zen' is out on 'Stringbender Records' in the USA

John Heinrich

Whites Creek, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2002 6:47 am    

Hello Matt, Please say hello to Julian for me I knew him as I knew him from the time that we lived in Berlin, Germany, in the early eighties. Then I was with a group called "Western Union." Did we possibly met back then? I've turned down a couple of tours over there but hope that sometime soon the right one will come along. If you ever plan on coming over here please let me know.

John

Matt Dawson

Luxembourg, Europe
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2002 11:01 pm    

Hi John!
Just back from the three action packed days.
Message passed. I'll pass your email address on so he can contact you when he's in the USA. Im sure we must have met cos I worked with him from 1976 to 1983 as bass player. Berlin was a cool place back then...Ron Randolph, Henry Hirsch, Darryl Jones (now a Rolling Stone!), Shelly Beal, Jesse Ballard are some people I remember from Berlin in the seventies. Ron is still there, running a music school. I played with a county band called Detour and they had a steel player called Michael who I think worked with Western Union but I havent seen him in 20 years so I dont know if he still plays.
Cheers Matt

Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 8:01 am    

Mat,
You should try to book your band into some of those US NCO Clubs and EM Clubs. They love country. When I was stationed there in the early '60s and then the mid '70's..I played all over Germany and a few places (civilian) in France. I played in at least 60 different clubs...Two of my band members were German. In another band I had two US civilians, a Frenchman, and a German. My dutiy was strictly strait days so I could play alot. I burned up that autoban almost 5 nights a week.
Just an idea.
Grouchyvet

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 8:08 am    

Bob,there are only one or two clubs left, since the wall in Berlin came down.