The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Hank Williams III
John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2002 3:43 pm    

FYI, Wifey picked me up a Hank the 3rd CD for a V-Day gift. Lovesick, Broke, & Driftin' - Curb Records. If this isn't a country music album, then I'm not who you think I am.
A dozen originals and one by the "Boss" to boot. Great singing by Hank III (or as Bobbe Seymour calls him, Tri-Cephus), and the incomparable non-pedal steel of the great Kayton Roberts. I highly recommend it.

John Drury
NTSGA #0003

[This message was edited by John Drury on 13 February 2002 at 05:06 PM.]

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2002 7:45 pm    

No disrespect to my friend,Kayton,but why didn't he use Don Helms?? Could it be a "Jett" thing,since he's (Don) working w/ her?

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Neil Hilton

Lexington, Kentucky
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2002 7:05 am    

Any feedback from anyone about how HankIII is conducting his live gigs these days?.... packing steel on stage??

I recall first reading about him a couple of years ago and sounded as if he was caught up in kind of a "punk-rock psycodelic cowboy" mode and live shows tended toward that image.

He is going to be here in Lexington in a couple of weeks, and I'd love to catch him live if indeed he is reeling out good country (with some interesting twists per his bloodline, I'm sure, and would expect!), but wouldn't be interested in mixing it up with a tie-died hair and nose-ring crowd if that is his typical draw..... I'd hope that is not the case. - Neil

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2002 11:08 am    

I just recently did some gigs with Hank III's amazing fiddler Mike McCandless. If I got it correctly mike says they've been using a Pedal Steeler but he may not be on the next run. They do an opening show of more traditional country, with some Hank Sr. etc. Then Mike says they tell everybody who can't handle it to leave! And come back with a second show of Conuntry Punk and even metal. Got to be great.

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Pedal, Non-Pedal, Lap, and Dobro - c'mon by and visit: www.markvanallen.com

Dan Farrell

Anaheim, Ca, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2002 4:41 pm    

Hank III sounds like something I'll get. I would recommend, that if you like Hank III, try some of Wayne Hancock's material. He is in the same vein and has excellent non-pedal steel playing. His newest album is A-town Blues and it is a keeper.

Dan Farrell
'97 Carter D-10