The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gib Wharton injured in fire
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 12:48 pm    

I just received this news and was asked to pass it on. Please include Gib in your prayers.

Brad --
Thought you'd like to know this. BlueCobra is Neal Blacks' sister Janet.
Feel free to pass this on the the Steel Forum, if it isn't already known.
Last I heard, Gib's been laying low music wise, having taken over his Dad's small ranch just south of San Antonio (Dilley) a couple years ago.
Too damn bad. He's a hell of a nice guy.

Later -

Joe Horn
Third Coast San Antonio

Neal called me and told me that incredible steel guitar wizard Gib Wharton
was severely burned in his house just outside of Dilley on Tuesday. He has 3rd degree burns on 57% of his body.

He is at BAMC (Brooks Army Medical Center - one of the nation's foremost burn centers - JH) in intensive care.

Gib is Neal's best buddy and is a member in Neal Blacks band playing steel guitar, bass and guitar, and appearing on Neal Blacks cds playing the same.
Neal and Gib have spent about the last 20 or so years together playing music.

For those who don't know Gib he is one of the most talented steel guitar players to ever live and a super good person.

I am not a hugely religious person but I am asking each of you to pray that he will come out of this alright. Pray hard, please.

I'm sorry if my wording on this post doesn't sound right or whatever, but I am in a bit of a daze right now almost wondering if this is a bad dream.

You can read more about Gib at http://gib_wharton.tripod.com/gibwharton/index.html

Janet
Blue Cobra Music

http://www.nealblack.net
http://www.mp3.com/NealBlack

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 5:47 pm    

I do not know and never heard of Gib but I sure hope he comes out of this terrible traggity and hope his hands and fingers are all right.As a fourmite and a learning steel
player I pray to god that he gets well very quickly and gets back on the best Instrument that was ever built and that has to be The beautiful sound of the Pedal Steel Guitar.I'm very sorry to hear this kind of news.God be with you Gib.
Sam White
S-10 Fessy 3-4
S-10 White Steel Guitar 3-4

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 18 July 2001 at 06:48 PM.]

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 18 July 2001 at 06:49 PM.]

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 18 July 2001 at 06:50 PM.]

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 8:16 pm    

My prayers are with you also Gib. Get well soon.
Jerry Roller

Sage

Boulder, Colorado
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 10:36 pm    

Gib's playing with the Holmes brothers is as sweet, soulful and inspired as any I've heard. His work on Cassandra Wilson's music is so beautiful and refined- he's been out there quietly taking the steel where it hasn't been before, and doing it so well for years. It really bites to hear about this. He is in my prayers as well.
T. Sage Harmos

[This message was edited by Sage on 18 July 2001 at 11:42 PM.]

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2001 2:09 am    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 02 May 2002 at 04:13 AM.]

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2001 1:23 pm    

Gib had a very big and positive influence on me when I was just getting started as a steel player. I called the hospital today and they told me he is in extremly critical condition at the moment.

here is an address to drop him a note if you want:

Gib Wharton
attn; BAMC -4 south
3400 Raliegh Chambers ave
Fort Sam Houston
Tx

Bob

[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 19 July 2001 at 03:31 PM.]

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2001 6:59 am    

Any news on Gib ?

Bob

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2001 12:58 pm    

Attn: New York P2 -

Press Release:

In this time of sorrow and desolation it's important to try to keep going and accomplish whatever good we can. We had planned a tribute/benefit for Gib Wharton before the attack on New York, and we decided to go ahead with it because Gib's needs are no less real and because we need to keep going. He and the Holmes Brothers recorded several albums for Rounder records. This should be a worthwhile event. Thanks for your understanding.

--John Swenson

Celebration for Gib Wharton

Friends of pedal steel guitar virtuoso Gib Wharton, who remains in critical condition at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas after suffering terrible burns two months ago, will gather on September 30 at the Cutting Room in support of his recovery.

The gathering will be headlined by the Holmes Brothers, who welcomed Wharton into their brotherhood for an historic four-year run through the early 1990s. During that time Wharton traveled to 25 countries and every state in the United States with the Holmes Brothers and recorded five albums with them. The combination of the Holmes Brothers' inspired gospel singing and Wharton's extraordinary steel playing coined the "sacred steel" concept a decade before it became a recognized genre.

Other friends of Wharton's scheduled to perform include Homeboy Steve Antonakos, Fausto Bozza, Janet Burgan, Joe Flood, Dan Hovey, Graham Maby, James Wormworth and several special guests to be announced shortly.

The event will take place on Sunday, September 30th at The Cutting Room, 19 West 24th Street. Doors open at 6, music starts at 7. Tickets are $20 and will be available at the door. Gib Wharton CDs will be available for sale.

On July 17th Wharton was severely burned in a house fire at his family home in Dilley, TX. He sustained 3rd degree burns over 57% of his body. He has since taken miraculous steps toward recovery, undergoing four extensive skin-graft operations, but remains in critical condition in the ICU at Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio.

In addition to the Holmes Brothers, Wharton, an internationally acclaimed guitar and pedal steel player, has recorded and toured with Van Morrison, Cassandra Wilson, Joan Osborne, Gil Goldstein, Johnny Johnson, Neal Black, Janet Burgan, the Blue Chieftains and Papa John Creach. His numerous session credits include work with Marianne Faithful, Laurie Anderson and David Byrne.

Wharton was a star athlete growing up in Dilley before turning his attention to music and becoming well-known in San Antonio music circles. Since moving to New York City in the late 1980s Wharton has been a sought-after sideman and session player in a variety of settings, from his stint with the Holmes Brothers to appearances on "Saturday Night Live." Wharton's film and theatrical credits include the soundtracks for "Lotto Land," "My New Gun," "Under the Bridge," and the musical direction of numerous performance pieces for his wife, actress Pamela Dean Kenny, including "Alemap" and "First Guitar."

All proceeds From the event will go directly to Gib and Pamela to offset medical expenses and the loss of their possessions in the fire, which destroyed all of Wharton's musical equipment.

A fund has been established at the Dilley State Bank for those who wish to send donations:

Gib Wharton Fund
Dilley State Bank
P.O. Box 9
Dilley , TX 78017

Cards can be sent to:
Gib Wharton
c/o Blue Cobra Music
PO Box 202019
San Antonio, TX 78220

Get Well Messages can be left at Gib's website at: http://gib_wharton.tripod.com/gibwharton/index.html

End of press release

Janet Walden
Blue Cobra Music
http://www.nealblack.net http://music.mp3lizard.com/nealblack/ http://gib_wharton.tripod.com/gibwharton/index.html http://zlip.to/aguasblues/

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2002 4:54 pm    

Here's an update sent to me by Joe X. Horn:

Well it's been a long tough road for Gib but he is slowly trying to get back into the world.

Gib was released from BAMC and spent a couple of months at a recovery hospital and is now residing in San Antonio recovering with the help from his lovely wife Pamela.

Although his recovery is hard, Gib has a good attitude about what lies ahead for him and is thankful for all the thoughts and well wishes that have come his way throughout his incredible ordeal. He wants to thank all who attended his benefit and especially thanks all the musicians who came out and paid to play at the benefit. The musicians who came out in support of Gib all had nothing but goodness in their hearts and played for the "cause" and not for any kind of glory.

Gib wants everyone to know he will be seeing you soon... Maybe sooner than you think!
I personally want to thank Claude "Butch" Morgan for everything he has done from day one of this accident. I don't think I have ever known a nicer guy. Claude never gave up on Gib and was there by Gib's side through the whole thing. Claude spent many months by Gib's bedside while Gib was unconcious as well as through Gib's recovery.
He stayed there and kept Gib company, gave him encouragement to recover and still today is a friend who doesn't stop helping Gib in any way he can. Claude "Butch" Morgan... You are the BEST!

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Iain

Edinburgh, Scotland
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2002 2:24 am    

That's a real shame. His playing with the Holmes Bros is great, and it's so good to hear steel in that context/group.