The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Larry Dolan picks on NashVILE...
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2002 3:22 pm    

...or,I should say,picks IN NashVILE,
Thurs. Jan. 17th 9:00 p.m.,at Douglas Corners. (had to trick y'all somehow into clickin' onto this thread).Lance Miller artist/writer at EMI will be performing.

Larry Dolan:steel,Little Jack Little: fiddle,Bill Quigley:drums,Mike Snodgrass: guitar,Bob Prebe:bass,along with singer Lance Miller.

Larry wanted me to post this for him,since he's not registered w/ the forum. Larry is one of the better "unknown" steelers in the business. Do him,(& yourself) a favor. Go check him out.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2002 5:15 pm    

For those interested, Larry is a fantastic picker. He is one of the best listeners you will ever run across and has been known to put together over 5 sentences at once. He is also my close friend and mentor who puts up with my constant chattering and feeble attempts at making a steel guitar sound recognizable and seems to enjoy coming to my house and playing with all my "toys"!

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2002 10:20 am    

(bump)

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2002 11:56 am    

Larry? Yep, one of those great unknown players that deserve more fame and recognition. A great friend and fellow idiot also! A real musical thinker and innovator.
Why is he trying to play steel? (He could get a real job!)
J, Rodney Scattergood II "Earl of Hallowman"

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 14 January 2002 at 11:56 AM.]

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 14 January 2002 at 11:58 AM.]

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2002 2:56 pm    

I have heard of Lance Miller and would love to see the show -- always up to hear a good steel player. Haven't heard of Larry Dolan, however.

Douglas Corner brings back memories from almost 50 years ago. My grandfather was long retired even when I was a rugrat, and I spent a lot of time at his house growing up. He loved to walk, which may have helped account for his longevity -- into his 90s. There was a little market on that corner in the early 50s and I recall many long walks to Douglas Corner with fond memories. I had noticed a comedy club there on subsequent visits to town, but wasn't aware there was music too. I can't make this one but look forward to checking the club out on a future visit.

And no, the walk wasn't from Kalamazoo MI
I grew up in Nashville. I'm the only Nashville-born steel player I know. ARE THERE ANY OTHERS OUT THERE?

Thanks for the tip, SR.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Emmons D-10 9x9, 1971 Dobro

[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 14 January 2002 at 03:00 PM.]

Bob McBride

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2002 3:32 am    

After I left Nashville to receive training for a real job(lawyer)I worked with Larry, Jack, Bill, Bob as their six string player while attending law school in Carbondale,IL and also did some shows with Lance from time to time. Lance writes very well and sings his *ss off - I suggest seeing him now before it takes a $25 ticket to do so. As for Larry, he and the others constitute a fine cohesive "workhorse" backup band and for me were a welcomed relief from the "o.k., now watch me play" method typical of many Nashville club bands. Larry's tone is great, and while not an incendiary chopster, always seems to find the part that the song calls for. Plus he's a nice guy (for an old farm boy from IL). Don't forget to ask fiddler Jack Little (from Porter Waggoner's bygone years) for the latest jokes. He's certain to have them at the ready.

Joan Cox

Eustace, TX USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2002 10:22 am    

Listen to Smiley folks..Larry Dolan is a great player..Johnny and I got to play one of the NTSGA SuperJams with him last year, and he did a great job. Smiley, you weren't too shabby yourself. A nice guy too..now Smiley's a different story..just kidding.. Go and listen..you'll be glad you did.
Joan

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2002 12:58 pm    

Don't miss this one!
I wish I could be there.

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2002 1:02 am    

Man,it was GREAT!! "Classic" Country & "New" Country. Lance was great,& held the crowd, with no problem. The place looked like "Who's-Who". Larry picked his butt off,& was not intimidated,at all,by the fact that Lloyd Green,John Hughey,Russ Pahl,& Bobby Randall,(former guitar picker w/ "Sawyer Brown,& a pretty fair steeler himself) was in attendance. It was,also,great seein' "Little" Jack Little again,after all these years. He tore 'em up w/ "O.B.S.". Overall,Lance,& the band could compete w/ any road band outta Nashville today.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2002 1:26 am    

I also want to echo what Smiley posted about Lance and Larry. The crowd was appreciative of the showmanship shown by Lance and they loved the music. You know you've hit the big time when the waitress comes up to John Hughey, Lloyd Green and a host of musicians and producers and calls each one sir when she asks for their order and then turns around and says "what can I get for you, Smiley?" Is there anyone in Nashville who DOESN'T know Smiley Roberts? I don't think so!

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2002 4:42 pm    

hey Smiley... empty your damned mailbox!
Must be those Web TV gremlins again. 3 tries and they all came back undeliverable.

Anyway, I got your email... thanks, I'll look into it. db

------------------
My Site | Doug's Free Tab