The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Remington Pedal Steel
Al Vesel

Chisholm, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2008 2:08 pm    

Does anyone out there know anything about the REMINGTON PEDAL STEEL guitar and their rod systems?

I know they make a lot of non pedal steels. But back in the 70's and 80's they had some pedal steels made. Called the SustainMaster. I don't think Herb made them himself, but subcontracted them out.

I guess the undercarriage rod system is a little different. Just curious if anyone knows anything about them.

TXS

AL VESEL
alvesel@mchsi.com
Emmons LeGrande SKH D-10 - WALKER STEREO STEEL AMP w JBL ENCLOSURES & TC ELECTRONICS M-ONE XL PROCESSOR, HILTON VP,FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER, SARNO's Steel Guitar BLACK BOX,BJS,ToneMaster bars,FENDER Strat, FENDER & Ovation acoustic's

Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2008 2:32 pm    

Al, I had a most unpleasant experience with a SustainMaster 2000 in Switzerland in December. Every time I used a pedal, the pitch it went to was different. It would get sharper with every push. The open pitch would return close to normal. I can only speak for that one guitar, but it was unusable.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/

Al Vesel

Chisholm, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2008 3:23 pm     REMINGTON PEDAL STEEL

Mike,
TXS and I think you just made my mind up. I probably am going to pass on purchasing it. But I will wait to hear from a few more steelers,(if there are anymore that respond) before I definitely make up my mind. Maybe your's was that one bad guitar. But I did wonder why they made pedal steels and then quit and only make non pedal steel's now. Was there a reason and maybe your problem you had with yours was the reason, Mike.

TXS buddy,

Al
Emmons LeGrande SKH D-10 - WALKER STEREO STEEL AMP w JBL ENCLOSURES & TC ELECTRONICS M-ONE XL PROCESSOR, HILTON VP,FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER, SARNO's Steel Guitar BLACK BOX,BJS,ToneMaster bars,FENDER Strat, FENDER & Ovation acoustic's

Joe Minor

Picayune Mississippi
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2008 4:11 pm    

Hi Al here is my exp I had a new one built for me about 1995. didnt know it was made of plywood until I received it. I paid in full at the time I ordered it,about 10 days after it came I got a bill for 200.00 for the case. Like a fool I paid it. It would not stay in tune for 15 min. I took it to a dealer 500 miles away because I didn't want anyone I knew to get stuck with it. I traded for a sho bud and took a severe beating on the deal. I could be that I got a bad one, but it was very bad.

Joe

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2008 7:26 pm    

Hi Al, I played one in St. Louis and one in Dallas several years back and these two were nice guitars. Played good, stayed in tune and sounded good. Herb Remington is one of the nicest people out there. Jody.

Last edited by Jody Sanders on 29 Jan 2008 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ron !

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2008 9:20 pm    

Al........try to get in touch with Gary Rittenberry.He worked on a couple I believe.He probably could give you some good advice.

Ron

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2008 5:27 am    

I got a black S10LG 3+4 (singleneck, doubleframe w/pad)from early 90's. Built like a rock. Stays in tune and neglible cabinetdrop. Piece of cake to change setup. It would take only a couple minutes to change the function of one of the kneelevers. Knee-levers made of rounded steel almost same dimension as my BJS steel bar so they will absolutely not break during play.
Maybe I just have been lucky but the one I have got is just as good as my ZumSteel or JCH. They all have a different sound/tone so best thing would be to get a chance to try before you buy.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2008 5:54 am    

I had a Remington 12 string for a while. It was a quality guitar, played very easy and sounded good. I had a TrueTone pickup on it.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2008 6:34 am    

Just wanted to contribute my 2 cents here...

A steel player in Norway, Arild Kvenseth, plays a SD Remington.
Go here: http://www.vestnorge.net/steel/nyweb/index.html
... scroll down to bottom of page where it says "salmeeksempel"
These are home recordings. I think the Remington sounds better than great on these clips...

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2008 8:28 am    

Joe Minor wrote:
it was made of plywood...

Was it ordinary hardware store plywood, or dieboard, which is also laminated and looks similar?

Joe Minor

Picayune Mississippi
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2008 4:12 pm    

For Mike, The wood was different that regular plywood I think I remember aircraft type, but that was 13 yrs ago.

Ron !

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2008 4:29 pm    

I am not sure but Die Board is what was used for these guitars I think.MSA used it and so did others.Come to think of this...my next one will be made out of it.It makes the steel sing.

Ron

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2008 5:33 pm     psg

I had a D-10 red Remington about 5 or 6 years that I bought used from Scotty's. Tone was fine but the 6 string on the E9th neck never would return to or stay in tune. Constantly tuning it all night. Also the cosmetics were a problem, as the so called "Pearl Inlay" had to be glued back in place all along the front apron. I wouldn't buy another one. I took a real loss whenever I traded it in on a new Emmons. Of course, this Remington might have just been one of a few that weren't up to standards, don't know.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2008 8:39 pm    

I think Reece mentioned once that MSA used special plywood imported from Finland. Is that correct, Reece?

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2008 10:29 pm    

To the best of my knowledge, GFI uses this ‘PLY’ for it's Neck-Platforms, which is the same type wood used for the sound-board of a piano. It is a very hard wood composition. I know for a fact that the GFI that I had for a short time used this type of ‘plywood’.

Larry Gerdeman

Missouri, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2008 12:19 am    

I ordered a Remington Steel in 1996. It had excellent tone and was built well. Bobby Bowman built mine. The only problem I had with it was the formica on the front had a slight bubble in it. One thing I did receive from this guitar was a good and lasting friendship with Bobby Bowman. As far as taking a beating an a trade I think you would find that with any of the guitars that are not one of the top name brands. If the price is right I would say don't be afraid of the Remington.

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2008 12:35 am    

Ever try to have any Remington poor workmanship corrected? Don't hold your breath! I've been waiting for more than a year! All I've gotten are excuses!