The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another Great OSGA Christmas Party !!
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2001 4:32 pm    

Beverly's Restuarant and Lounge Branson, Mo. was the site of another great Ozark Steel Guitar Ass'n. Christmas party yesterday Sunday the 9th. We gathered around 12:30 for a great buffett lunch and settled in to listen to some of the club members (who do not play professionally) pick and grin (and sometimes grimace)
As most of you know, Branson is loaded with professional pickers and yesterday they were on hand both as visitors, members and house band. Our Sec/treasurer Mr Terry Bethel, has Bethel Steel Guitar Co. and plays for MMMMel
Tillis--Also on hand were Bob Hemker who helps Roy Clark (the last I knew)--Right Bob ? also Roger Blevins of The Bald Knobbers. The house band was made up of pros and man did they show it !!!
Mr Milton Quackenbush formerly of The Statesiders Band--now with The Bald Knobbers-
played keyboard and folks he can tickle the ivory big time !! Mr Phil Koontz who plays steel for the Grand Ladies of Country music played a perfectly metered bass and sang "Pass Me By" for one player and showed he has great vocal talents as well. Mr Steve Richy who plays drums also for The Grand Ladies did a superb job all afternoon. Mr Bruce Hoffman who plays fiddle for Buck Trent's Breakfast show and also The Down Home Country show at the 76 Music Hall played some drop dead country fiddle and guys--talk about somebody that plays when he should and rests when he should ??? This young man has it together big time. He also broke out a 70's model ShoBud single ten as the last number on the show and he can flat work it over also !! I might mention that Milt also plays a double ten Bethel and has superb touch and tone. He plays several differant instraments very well. There was a good variety of steels on hand Emmons-Sierra-Bethel-Carter-ShoBud and even a fender 800
which I havn't seen for several years.
(Bruce Zumsteeg--you need to hustle some of your guys in for next year)
I got to meet fellow forumites Mr & Mrs Leonard Robertson from a town I believe between Branson and Springfield. As all forumites usually are--very open and friendly and great people.
We finished a great afternoon of fun and fellowship and was on our way home around 5pm.
We missed Tom Brumley, Keith Hilton, Dave Musgrave and a few others but it was a wonderful reunion and special afternoon. Most everyone there liked the idea of holding it at those facilities so it may well be there next year.
I'd like to close with a special thanks to Terry and Pat Bethel and to The host and employees at Beverly's for all the hard work and planning. If your not a member of The Ass'n. if you'll send twenty bucks to The Ozark Steel Guitar Ass'n. P.O. Box 1108 Hollister, Mo. 65673 (Terry Bethel sec) he'll get you on the mailing list for the articles mailed out and the schedule for some great steel parties and shows. Bill Myrick ps I was just kidding about the grimaces--there were some really talented players there !!!

[This message was edited by Bill Myrick on 10 December 2001 at 04:37 PM.]