The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  2002 Plant City Steel Show - ON
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2001 3:56 pm    

The Plant City, Fl steel show is apparently still on for January.

I just heard from the Bass picker that will be on the staff band. She was looking for Doug Jernigan material, as he will be on the show.

We had a discussion about this a while back and the general thought was, it wasn't going to happen.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2001 2:08 pm    

Thats good news Jack keep in touch with me on further developements. I got some people in Fort Myers and about that want to go.I was hoping Herby Wallace and John Hughey would be back also..DJ is great also.

------------------
CJC

Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2001 3:57 pm    

To whom it may concern:

I just thought that I would mention that I will not be back to the Plant City show in January. It is not by choice, as I have played the other shows, but for some reason I wasn't invited this year. I am not happy about it, but I certainly don't want to be where I'm not wanted. Also, I might mention that the great backup band which has played the last two shows wasn't asked back either. This includes: Ben Brogdon, Roy Rosetta, Herby Wallace III and Gary Davis.

I'm not trying to have a bad attitude as I do around 25 to 30 shows per year and I always enjoyed coming to Florida,as I did every show that Larry Self had when he was doing them, but it is Haywood Henson's show and he calls the shots. I'm sure it will be enjoyable hearing Doug Jernigan and John Hughey play as they, of course, are two of the finest.

Herby Wallace

------------------

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2001 4:06 pm    

That's all the info I have. Sue Bondz is going to be the bass picker. I have no other info - dates, etc.

I have to go over to Johnny Bondz Music shop later in the week, maybe I'll get more info. If I do, I'll post it.

At this late date, there should be a lot of P.R. out on it.

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 28 Nov 2001 6:36 am    

Jack: One of the main reasons we planned on attending was Herby Wallace.One of the major ingrediences needed for a successful show is the backup band.Without Roy Rosetta and Company who take time to carry charts and can instantly chart out materials.(not that there are not good quality area musicians) I hope it doesn't turn into a Jam Session free for all and delute the quality of past show performances. I think we will hold off until March and get our advance tickets for the Dallas show.

------------------
CJC

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2001 7:27 am    

Joe, obviously certain backup band pickers won't be there, but that's not to say potential backup band members can't do it. I'm speculating, but if Johnny Bondz is putting the band together probably Bobby Fisher will pick drums and Bobby has worked in road bands for years including Paycheck, Willie Nelson, Mo Bandy, Tillis, etc (and me ). Ray Gantek will probably be there on lead and steel - Ray is from New England and you probably know him and Ray used to do commercials in NYC and worked with Hank Thompson. Sue Bondz picked bass on the steel show Johnny Bondz had in Wildwood this year so she's not a "rookie".

Other than Sue, those are guesses but probably correct.

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 28 Nov 2001 8:59 am    

So thats where Ray is Yes I'm quite familiar with Ray. Ray filled in with me a couple of times at the old Ranch House in Springfield Mass. Bob Ripey also attends those shows and is a quality ex- Nashville picker..Ray Gantek is an Excellent musician that could have gone with Alabama in the early days.He had an excellent album out "gone Fishing" and I gave it some airplay.If the Locals are familiar with players and don't limit their playlist it will work. Ray should be quite an addition to the show.

------------------
CJC

Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2001 10:57 am    

I probably shouldn't be saying what I am going to say, but sometimes I just have to express myself. As I've said before, I do around 25 or more steel guitar shows around the country and I have been doing them for around 23 years, so I've worked with a lot of bands, and to be completely honest, out of say 25 shows, I can count the bands that really cut it on one had. I won't mention any names, but when you don't have an good backup band, the whole purpose of a steel guitar show is defeated. In other words, the fans come to hear the songs the players have recorded or are noted for and we have to make excuses why we can't play a particular tune. Two things end up happening, first the steel player doesn't enjoy playing this way and the fan who paid the addmission price in many cases didn't get to hear what they came expecting to hear.
For example: players like John Hughey and Doug Jernigan are two of the finest steel players of all time, so the backup band whoever it might be should be in the same league. Also, I know of many great steel players that refuse to do steel guitar shows just because they know what they're up against in most cases.

Again, I hope I haven't offended anyone, but this is just telling it like it is.

Herby Wallace

P.S. A good example of what I'm talking about is: I played the P.S.G.A. show about two weeks ago and they always have a very good backup band. I was able to play several tunes on my Sunday spot that were on my last album that I usually won't attempt. The drummer, Larry Eagle, has such a good feel that after about 4 bars into the first tune I knew it was right. When it's like this everybody wins.

------------------

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2001 2:58 pm    

Well Herby, I also have not heard from the Plant City show. Last sho, I was asked to handle sound for the 2002 show, but I have received no correspondence.

I loved that show, especially the little thing John Hughey and I did on stage, plus the Friday night jam you stuck me in.

Hmm. I wonder what's going on?

Bill Ferguson

frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2001 8:54 pm    

Herby, As usual your observations are right on target. Looking forward to seeing you in Grand Rapids and Chattanooga. Frank and Molly Rogers

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2001 4:39 am    

Same goes here, Frank. Herby, as you know, you will always be welcome here.

See you in April.

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2001 6:29 am    

Herby,
It won't be the same without you.
And thanks for the last two great seminars you gave at Plant City.
Don