The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Guitar Show-Steel.Statesville N.C.
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 7:33 am    

The ninth and tenth (this week),is the Carolina's Thumb and Finger Picking show in Statesville N.C.(just 30 miles north of Charlotte).Some of the worlds greatest players will be there.I will be there myself playing with the great Bob Saxton on both days.This promises to be another great show as was last years. Be sure to be there if at all possible. It is at the Holliday Inn on I-77 north,near I-40 intersection. Rooms are still available. This could be the most fun you'll ever have with your clothes on.
Bobbe Seymour
615 822 5555

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 8:25 am    

Quote:
Some of the worlds greatest players will be there.I will be there myself

Are we bragging a little or what?? Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona

Bill Sharpe

Hermitage, TN 37076, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 11:52 am    

Bobbe IS one of the top 5 players in my view, and if you ever heard him pick live, particularly thumbstyle, I think you'd agree

------------------
B#

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 7:13 pm    

How about posting the show details for saturday and Sunday.

TP

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 8:51 pm    

Conceited? Ray, I did sound like it didn't I!
Sorry, I'm really not anywhere good enough to have the right to act that way, sorry. I ment to say,EVEN I will be there. Not the greatest including me. As a matter of fact, I genuinely feel very inferior to ALL the other players, they are all very great. I thank you Ray for not letting this get by,I do know you said this with humor but I still feel quite embarrassed.
Details of the show? Wish I had more. Call the Holliday Inn and ask for one of the shows officers to get the details,sorry, I just know it's Friday and Saturday. The 9th and 10th. The "Carolina Thumpickers Association" club is putting this on.
Bobbe

Bobbe

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 6:10 am    

Hey Squeezemore,believe me we all know you are one of the very best,I did do that in fun,but I know you are a real player.Wish I could be there to enjoy.
Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona

fingerstylist

Asheville, N.C. 28803 USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2001 2:49 pm    

We had a great convention with such greats as
Richard Smith, Thom Bresh, Bob Saxton, Nokie
Edwards, our own Bobbe and a load of pickers
you may never hear of, but are outstanding
musicians. Bobbe did a super job of bringing
down the house......mainly because he used my
amplifier. HA. If you missed this year, remember next year about the same time.

Al Cunningham

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 12 Nov 2001 9:40 pm    

I want to thank everyone for making this one of the finest "pickathons" Iv'e ever been to!Talent was incredible and I have never been treated nicer. And yes, the great sounding Nashville 1000 was a big help in getting my sound across to the multitudes. Glad you had it there! (the old Bonanza will only hold so much,don't need aft center of gravity going over the Smokies). I used my new '85 LeGrande
D-10, short keyhead,8-7,black with the new style changer as I did at the great Lexington show for Fred Layman the week before.I love my '71 P-P but I'll have to admit,The LeGrande's are truly great.I love this one as I do most of them.But then, I love old Sho-Buds,Bigsbys,ZB's,P-P's (and thats when I woke up).There's something to be said for heritage!
Neveral Cross "Smokie" Atnite III

(again)

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2001 1:16 pm    

don'chall be givin bobbe no interior complexion..or do I mean complex...oh well don't give him to it anyway. regards, fred

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 23 Nov 2001 4:20 pm    

Any steel players that play Thumb style and would wish to play with me on this or any show in the future, let me know as this is opening up steel to a whole new audience of guitar lovers and music lovers in general.This style seems to be "bridgeing a gap" between guitar and steel guitar.I'm getting a lot of younger potential players intrested after they see me play this style at these shows. One 9 year old came up to me after the show and said, "I thought those things just made "whinnie music!" I just punched him when his mom and dad wern't looking and went off and thought about it!( the kid later caught me and beat me half to death but, It did make me think, Let's get some more intresting styles happening here! Steel can do anything, Can't it?

Ziggie

Freeland, Mi. USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2001 8:44 am    

Hey Bobbe, Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly do you call Thumb Style and how do we aproach it on the steel? I have a hunch it's running the bass lines with the thumb but I'm not really sure. Could you please fill us in? (That is "us" that aren't really sure) Thanks for all your help also Bobbe. Ziggie

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2001 10:23 am    

...Good question, Ziggie...I'd like to hear what Bobbe has to say about the mechanics and the artistry of the thumb style, too...I've seen him play live, and I still can't "put my finger on it"..(and Ray, you can put him in there with the great ones...he's not just a great picker and stylist but a top-notch entertainer as well, on and off the stage!)..
..maybe this should be moved over to "pedal steel" now?

...How about it, Bobbe? What is the essence of your style?

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 25 Nov 2001 12:38 am    

Pat snd Ziggy, and all others that care,This style involves the use of the thumb playing the bass notes whilst thou art playing the melody with thine fingers. Technically, you are playing Bass cleff and treble cleff at the same time,much like a piano player using the left hand to play rhythm, and the right hand to play the melody. This style expands steel guitar to be enjoyed by folks that have to hear the rhythm to "feel" the music.If you are playing all by your self, this is a very handy style.
Chet Atkins , Merle Travis, the late Bobby Garrett,Ronny Prophett,Doyle Dykes,Thom Bresh, Buster P. Jones,and several others are players that have mastered this style of playing.Buddy Emmons,Jeff Newman,Tommy White,Lee Brothers are steel players that have demonstrated the ability to also play some of this style also. Buddy Emmons did a very good job in the '60's on a Ferlin Husky record called "I Hear Little Rock Calling" playing a great thumstyle solo. I feel if someone would totally master this style on steel, and possibly some other styles, it would help take steel in a new direction, UP! I would love to see this instrument as popular as lead guitar, or piano.(or even comb and paper for that matter!) I would love to hear a "Leo Kottke" on steel guitar!Or even a Segovia for that matter. Expand the style and the popularity will also expand! To the people on the street, we may all sound just the same! Think about that! Then go play something diffrent,don't worry about how much you can sound like Buddy, Lloyd,John,Tommy,Jeff, Etc,Etc, Make your own tracks in the sand! Just my opinion,but then, I'm always right,(according to my dogs).
Dr.J.Skifflehauser Lieberman

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2001 8:04 am    

...sounds like finger picking a six string...

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2001 8:06 am    

Leave it to Bobbe to wake me up properly on a Southern Sunday (Pun Intended..)morning !! I dropped off the Forum for awhile because I let my feelings get in the way of my good sense. I wasn't going to get back on for a while but reading words by Bobbe got me thinking about how much I'm loosing by not participating.

And Bobbe, I have remembered I Hear Lil' Rock for a long time. Those were the days I was spending with Bobby and Leon and I always thought that it was Bobby doing that
song. Don't ask me how I underestimated BE because I'm ashanmed to admit I did. Could it be that I was so naive as to think BG was the only one who did that and I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO KNEW ABOUT IT ??

If you are saving Gold Stars, I better send you some.......I suppose that is why they have named you the Historian but there I go again; Off-Topic !!

Best Regards, Paul

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2001 10:23 pm    

Bobbe- You are absolutely right, again. About whinney. I had a dancer come up to the bandstand and say "I like your Steel, You don't make it sound "Whinney" . Best compliment I got all night...LOL...al

Ziggie

Freeland, Mi. USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2001 10:11 am    

Again thanks for your help Bobbe! What you talked about on fingerstyle was what I had envisioned but one is never really sure 'till one asks. So I did and I have learned something new. Now my next question is do you or anyone else have any instruction material on fingerstyle for steel or is this all left to our own imagination? Of course imagination is always good, but a few extra ideas are always welcome. I guess that's why we call it steal guitar, eh? Thanks again Bobbe. Ziggie