The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Show.
VERNON PRIDDY

ELIZABETHTOWN; KY. USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2001 8:11 am    

Had A Great Time At The Steel Show In Lexington. Ky. This Week End. A Lot Of Great Players. Boogie Sharrard Knocked Me Out With His Set On Steel. He Also Played Those Long Hours On Lead Guitar I'm Glad To Call Him My Friend I've Known Him For Many Years. In My Book He Needed A Standing O.V. He Was Great. SONNY or HANK.

------------------
SONNYPRIDDY

Bob Strum

Anniston Alabama
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2001 3:45 pm    

Lexington Show was a thriller. The jam, the bands, players, singers...and the super host, Dr Fred Layman. Thanks Fred!
Sincerely, Bob and Carol

George Crowder

Richmond, VA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2001 5:26 pm    

Another great show. Terrific performances by all players. Thanks Fred for all you do to make this show happen.

Rick Johnson

Wheelwright, Ky USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 4:49 am    

I agree. GREAT WEEKEND.
Sometimes as a steel player its easy to
be discouraged. I was really inspired
this weekend.
Hughey and Rugg were great, as usual.
Seymour was a blast too!
Chuck Rich had a "Killer" band.
Mike Siegler was fast as lightning.
Great weekend.

Thanks Fred!!!

------------------
Rick Johnson

JACK HEERN

MURPHYSBORO,IL. USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 10:10 am    

What Bob Strum said !!!
Fred and Donna you really outdid yourselves!!
Best show I've ever attended ANYWHERE !!!!!
Thank you for including me. Also our thanks to Chubby for swaping time slots so Lee didn't have to re-setup!
God Bless
Jacpac

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 1:04 pm    

I always enjoy Lexington. It was the first show I attended and I’ve been back for about 5 years in a row now. It’s a nice blend of top pros with regional players and bands. What a great bunch of players.
We’re really lucky to have these steel shows. Does an amateur lead guitar player have a similar opportunity to mingle with his idols (unless they're steel players)?

It was nice talking with Bob Strum. I’ve heard Bob play at Lexington two or three times but never got to visit with him. Bob has overcome adversity in his personal life and health and re-emersed himself into PSG. He encouraged me to get practicing, which I intend to do tonight.

This trip I bought CD’s by Hal Rugg (Slidin’ For Scale) and Weldon Myrick (TX to TN). Awesome! Just Awesome! I’m getting quite a collection of these for a guy who “never listens to instrumentals”. It made the trip home a breeze. As I write, Hal is cranking out “Down to my Last Cigarette”; making me really cook on this keyboard, I’ll tell ya!

Winston May: Great job on the sound, even though you got caught BSing with me a couple times.

------------------
HagFan

winston

Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 6:59 pm    

Ron Page
Seems everytime I came over and talked to you then Rob Parker or Dean Dobbins got called up to sing over a dead mic. I told Fred it was your fault and he let me slip by.
I agree with everyone it was a great show with super pickers. It was good to see Jack Heern picking again. The jam session was excellent, although I thought Herby was going to fall asleep. He said it was past his bedtime. Anyway, thanks Fred for including me in the show. Winston

Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 8:50 pm    

Thanks fellows for your positive comments and emails regarding the show. I agree, it was probably the best show we have had in 17 years of doing them, certainly the largest crowd. The Friday night jam with four Steel Guitar Hall of Fame players (Hughey, Rugg, Myrick and Wallace) was the high point for me, although all 16 players were superb. Lee Brothers was a surprise "walk-on" to fill a last minute cancellation spot and he was terrific on C6th numbers and even did an excellent job as a fellow who uses an Emmons setup on E9th, but playing Jack Heern's Day setup, on the old standard "Wheels." He will be back next year. For those interested, next year's show will be November 1-2, back at the Kentucky Inn. Reserve early, we sold the hotel out the last week of September this year, but suitable alternative rooms were found at the Springs Inn about a mile away and at a good price.

Mike Sigler

Give Em A Try !
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 4:39 pm    

Fred
let me add my thank you with the rest.
I really enjoyed being apart of the show again this year.
Looken forward to next year.
Your buddy.
Mike