The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mic...Best bang for the buck?
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2008 4:35 pm    

If you could recommend one mic that you consider to be an all round mic for digitally recording voice, acoustic guitar and mic'ing the steel (amp NV112) what would it be?
Tight budget right now so I am wondering what(if anything) can be had for $100 or less.
Recommend new ones to look at, or if you have a used one in that range, PM or email me. Thanks all for your help!

Leroy Golden

Muskegon, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2008 6:17 pm    

MXL 990 at musicians friend, sounds great for the money!!$59 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=mxl+mics

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2008 6:30 pm    

Or the 990/991 package for $99.00. Looks like you get one mic for vocals and one for instruments.
I'll read up on it.
Thanks Leroy
Bent

James Collett

San Dimas, CA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2008 7:39 pm    

I've noticed that acc. guitar sounds best (when mic'd right) w/ a large-condenser mic, used mostly for vocals. Steel would be better with a dynamic for a more raw, slightly punchier sound or small-condenser for a smooth, warm tone. That 990/991 kit sounds like the deal you're looking for.
James
P.S. Double check to make sure your're recording setup supplies Phantom Pwr for the condensers. Also, you might want to consider trying a SM-57 dynamic for steel- I use different mics for a different steel sound. I find it easier to capture that "vintage" sound off my amp w/ a dynamic, while condensers give that more silky modern sound. It's just different little things to catch different instrumental characteristics. Wink

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2008 7:42 pm    

Bent,

If you came into another $69 to put with your $100 I'd recommend one of these...

http://www.avantelectronics.com/CK-6.htm

Avantone CK-6 for $169. Several Avantone mics have been getting good reviews from the powers that be. They are a very new company, and have a unique sales approach regarding pricing. You can read about it on their website.

Comes with shock mount, mic box and carry case. I've just started to use them and they sound great on voice and steel. Chinese made mic like the MXLs.

I had looked over the MXL line and almost bought a couple of V67Gs. $99 but I think you still have to buy a shock mount seperate. I think all the MXL line offers good value.

Also have heard good things about the Audio-Technica AT2020.

Good luck, let us know what you buy!

Craig Stenseth

Naperville, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 7:34 am    

The MCA SP1 (now sometimes being branded as the MXL SP1 - the actual 'parent' company from what I understand), got a great review in Tape Op #60. It's a condenser, you can find them online for about $40 each.

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 7:41 am    

Smile SM57=SM57=SM57.. Very Happy

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 9:09 am    

James, thanks for info. The MXL does look desirable seeing how I would get one mic of each type.
However, the CK-6 comes with a shock mount which I would have to pay an extra 35 for. It also sounds like a more all-round mic for all three recording modes.
Brian, thanks for the info on Avantone. I emailed them to see if there is a dealer in Ontario Canada.
Thanks all!
Bent

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 10:40 am    

I've been hearing great reports on the Avantone mic's when it comes to imported condensers.

Brad

Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 2:43 pm    

Bent Romnes wrote:
Or the 990/991 package for $99.00. Looks like you get one mic for vocals and one for instruments.
I'll read up on it.
Thanks Leroy
Bent

I own these and they work great for me. I use the small one on acoustic instruments, sounds great on dobro, mando and guitar, and the big one on vocals.

i dont have or see the need for a shock mount on my vocal mic.

you'll need a pop filter for the vocal mic...but then you'd probably want one regardless of brand of mic you choose. If you dont wanna buy one, one can be constructed from a coat hanger and pantyhose....

I havent tried em for micing an amp. I use the sure 57 for that when I need to , but mostly i just go thru an amp sim (Line^ toneport UX2)for digital recording even tho i have many fine tube amps in my studio. Its just less hassle and offers a wider variety of tones...plus I can record at 3:00AM and not wake the wife or neighbors Smile

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 5:06 pm    

Best I've hear for vocals is without a doubt the Studio Projects C1 for $200 brand new. Works great on other stuff too.

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Johnny Thomasson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2008 5:48 pm    

For mic'ing an amp, a Shure SM-57 is going to be awful hard to beat for the money.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2008 5:57 pm    

Johnny, Really? I always thought the Sm 57/58 were live stage mics.
So you say 57...What about the 58, would it be as good for micing amp?
Thanks for your input
Bent

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2008 9:00 pm    

I said this in an earlier post,"I read somewhere that almost all the major recording studios had SM57s in there studios."
That's not to mean that they are the only or main mic's that they use,but there must be a reason for it.
The 57 is preferred over the 58 for micing amps and acoustics,while the 58 is used for voice.
I record voice with the 58 and use several 57's for insturments and amps.Good luck,PJ.. Smile

Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2008 9:11 pm    

there are used sm57's all over craigslist etc as well

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2008 9:25 pm    

Papa Joe Pollick wrote:

The 57 is preferred over the 58 for micing amps and acoustics,while the 58 is used for voice.
I record voice with the 58 and use several 57's for instruments and amps.Good luck,PJ.. Smile

I should listen to experience. Thanks PJ,I will keep this in mind.

Steve, thanks for the tip. But still, why do you think that everybody seems to wanna get rid of their Shures?
Could it be that they have found a new one to try out?
I know...it used to be Shure since I was in diapers but new brands have sprung up.

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2008 9:27 pm    

I'm certainly not a professional recording engineer, but I can't imagine any dynamic mic being the first choice for recording vocals ever. Clearly SM57s and 58s have a well earned reputation on stage, but seems to me there are a lot of options, particularly more sensitive large diaphragm condensers that have a much more transparent sonic character than dynamics.

That being said about vocals, IMHO an SM57 would certainly be at home in front of an amp or on a drum (other than kick) in a studio setting.

To me, to pick one recording mic for vocal, acoustic and steel amp, it'd be a condenser, and that was what Bent first asked about.

Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2008 10:45 pm    

there are so many in use is why you see so many of them. Plenty of used fender twins for the same reason. Great product = lots of users = lots of people selling and buying. I think a lot of pro studios buy theirs in large batches, and clubs go through them.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 9:47 am    

Thank you all so much for the great replies. Your coaching was like a mini course in recording as applies to mics. I am sure there is lots more but that can wait until I absorb what y'all have told me.
Brian's last post did it for me. I see the bast value for me will be to buy the MXL 990/991 package. I am looking forward to trying out all this stuff that is so new to me.

To the two guys who offered me their Shure SM58...Sorry but I will have to decline the offer now that my mind is made up.
regards to all
Bent

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 5:25 pm    

Let us know what you think about the MXL 990 and 991. Seems a great value and I bet they sound great. I'd be curious to know your observations.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 6:15 pm    

I sure will Brian. It might take me a while to get them. Sure am looking forward to trying them out.
Thanks again for your kind response...you and the rest of the gang!

Jim Peters

St. Louis, Missouri, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 8:00 pm    

BR, you can hear the MXL on the vocals on my website,

WWW.swirlband.com.

I think do do a really good job. JP

Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2008 6:48 am    

I have a SM 57, MXL 990 and I just bought a Sennheiser 609. They all sound great. But the best tone I've gotten so far is with the MXL 990 for recording at home.

JW

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2008 7:57 am    

Jim P. I gave it a listen and it sounds great to me, as does the whole band!

Jim W. That was encouraging to hear.I am sure that the MXL will be more than sufficient for this amateur.