The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tommy White On The Opry
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2007 9:26 pm    

Vince was on tonight and did Look At Us. Tommy played the steel parts and I want to tell you he did it with so much emotion I could feel it thru the radio. I caught it both times on the early and later show. Papa John's version does the same thing to me. Way to go Tommy.

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2007 11:48 pm    

Craig,
Thank you so much for your sincere kindness.
Playing with Vince tonight was one of the most difficult things I've ever done emotionally and musically. It will also stand out as the most treasured performance of my tenure at the Grand Ole Opry. A most spiritual musical event, as the song Vince wrote for John was so beautiful and touched everyone.
No one can fill the large footprint John put on Vince Gill recordings and performances.
I have thought of the day of our beloved John Hughey passing everyday since his untimely parting. I cannot imagine the anguish, emptyness and sadness his loyal, devoted and beautiful wife must be coping with. Jean Hughey is a princess and is worthy of everything good.
John left us much too soon, as John had become the definitive finest as a father, husband, friend, neighbor, world class identifiable musician and pedal steel guitarist, playing better than ever with so much to offer. The best way to leave is on top with no foul. John did just that. My family and I will miss him for the rest of our lifes and we shall never forget the positive, loving impression John made on us.

Last edited by Tommy White on 2 Dec 2007 2:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2007 12:26 am    

I was just pulling into my driveway listening to the
Friday Night Opry when Vince did "Look At Us". When
it came time for the ride, Vince said "Play it for John, Tommy!" That was a special moment.

Tommy R. Butler

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2007 2:04 am    

That is awesome Tommy !!! Well said !

Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2007 5:04 am    

And that, ladies and gents, is why Mr. White is, and shall always be, one of the very best. I'm so sorry I missed hearing it.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2007 7:56 am    

Tommy, What a wonderful expression of love and admiration you gave to John. I can imagine how hard that gig was to do.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2007 9:36 am    

Wow I'm sorry I missed that. Is last night's show archived?
Oddly enough, I'm off this week so last night I sat down at my steel for the first quiet time I've had with it is some time, and for the first time since John's passing. I started playing Hello Darlin' and then came Look At Us then came Deep Water, and so on and so on. I went through every instrumental or solo I ever learned of John's. I got emotional, even though I never knew the man.
I think when you learn an instrumental from one of the greats, without realizing it, you do get a look into their soul and heart. And John definitely had both.
I cannot imagine what was going through Tommy's mind during that performance.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2007 11:47 am    

Amen Tommy!

God Bless you for being able to put into words what so many are feeling.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2007 11:55 am    

Tommy, In a few paragraphs you said it all. John was one of a kind. And you are so welcome for the compliment. I think it will be some time before we can not get choked up thinking, listening, or talking about John. He was one of the players that influenced me to learn how to play.

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2007 12:57 pm     TW & JH

TW, that was the greatest form of respect that could be given for such a fine man as JH. You are a master yourself and this only goes to show the great player/person you've got to be. Even though we've not met yet, I have had the greatest respect for you and now it's only greater. I hadn't had a chance to hear or see the part with Vince yet but it doesn't matter, I will. Thank you again and by the way, I just watched the video with you and Lloyd again yesterday. Very nice.

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2007 1:43 pm    

Tommy, Your playing was top notch with Vince there last evening. Very Happy I was listening on the internet,{WSM Online}. Great song Vince wrote about John,and Jean.I liked how you went up into Hugheyland. Very Happy

Larry Weaver

Asheville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2007 1:44 pm    

What a wonderful and thoughtful post Tommy.

We're lucky to have someone of your talent and stature posting on this forum. Every time you post it reminds us that you're truly a class act man!

best,
LarryW

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2007 2:00 pm    

Tommy,
Since I read Your post a couple of hours ago I have tried to find words to express my feelings.I cannot!
I can only say thank You from the bottom of my heart for your sincerity,You are a true Gentleman and I look forward to perhaps meeting You when I visit Nashville next March.
best regards
Billy

Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2007 4:27 pm    

Michael, I missed it last night, but I set our DVR to record the show, again, today. If I can manage to record it over to a VHS tape, I'll gladly send you a copy.

Tommy, I haven't seen it yet, but just reading what you wrote, shows the world who you truly are. What true class, and what a privilege and honor it had to be for you.

Wow! Talk about reaching out and touching folks, you truly did.. Thanks

Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2007 9:58 pm    

If you heard Tommy on the radio last week with Vince then you no doubt heard a master at work.

"But" I was there!

I stood just to the side of the stage as Tommy played with Vince. It truly was a magical moment for the Opry "and" for steel guitar. You could feel the emotion and excitement as Tommy played his heart out in tribute to one of the most respected steel guitar players in the world.

Tommy is one of my very favorite players and never ceases to amaze me at what pinnacle of success he will rise to. He is incredibly fast when fast is the
prerequisite...but more so, he is a player who can play with great emotion and passion.

As I watched him play the solo on "Look At Us" I saw his right hand trembling and there was the most intense look on his face that I have ever seen. He was playing for John! And his performance that night meant everything. Tommy was flawless, passionate, perfect, and with the highest respect. All of which makes him the master of the steel guitar that he is.

It was one of the most emotional and impressive performances that I have ever witnessed.

As a steel guitarist, Tommy is light years ahead of me and that is why I look up to him with the highest of regards, but more than that I am proud to call him "friend."

Dave

Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2007 5:06 am    

Chris, If you have XM Radio, they replay the Opry a handful of times during the week. But I also believe they are archived and you can listen to them online at WSM's site.

XM - "The channel will feature live Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday night performances (Tuesdays at 8 p.m. ET; Fridays at 9 p.m. ET; Saturdays at 7:30 p.m. ET and 10:30 p.m. ET;). Encore broadcasts of new Opry episodes will air on XM’s classic country music channel “America” (XM 10) at 10 a.m. ET every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Other individual performances by country’s biggest stars recorded live on the Opry stage will also be featured on XM’s other country music channels, including “Willie’s Place” (XM 13), “Bluegrass Junction” (XM 14), “Highway 16” (XM 16), and “U.S. Country” (XM 17)."

Last edited by Danny Naccarato on 7 Dec 2007 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave Burr

League City, TX
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2007 5:33 am    

I want to hear it so bad I can't stand it!!!

WSM hasn't posted last weekends show in the archives yet ~ When they do, you'll be able to access it as "streaming audio" at the link below. I sure would like to figure out how to record it! Confused

http://www.wsmonline.com/onair/archives.shtml

Respectfully,
david

Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2007 7:22 am    

Tommy thanks dear friend for saying it all. You too are a very class act. Loveya pal, Bobby

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2007 8:36 am    

Thanks for the link Dave.
Can't wait to hear it !

Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2007 8:54 am    

Just Four Words:

TOMMY WHITE WORLD CLASS

phred

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2007 4:37 pm    

Tommy,
I could not think of a more fitting tribute that could have been given to "Papa John" a fine gentleman that, to know him was to love him. I had the privilege to meet, and talk with him, and Miss Jean several times at Saluda. I never knew "Look At Us" was written for John,and his beautiful wife.Now we know where all the feeling, and emotion he put in that song came from.Feb. in Saluda will never be the same.

Thank you Mr. Tommy White

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2007 8:00 pm    

Bill,
I'm not certain "Just Look At Us" was written for the Hugheys, although most appropriate. I can verify "Buttermilk John" was definately written by Vince Gill for our beloved John and Princess Jean Hughey.
I must also tell you, John and Jean's beautiful daughter(Cheryl Ann) and caring son in law(Beanie)have a lot to tackle in the next few weeks. They have my complete sympathy and support.

Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2007 8:45 am    

CH 10, XM right now is replaying the FRI ver with Tommy playing Look at Us w/Vince. Note the time: 10:34a CT. The program started at 9a CT. Hopefully they will replay Fri again..... or again today.

Wow....

Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2007 9:01 am    

Fri night is archived!!!!! I'm listening right now!!!!!
Make sure you all "sound capture" this show.
!!!!!!!!!!!WOW!!!!!!!!!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2007 9:09 am    

It's now been archived.

Go to this page: http://www.wsmonline.com/onair/archives.shtml

Then click the first link called "Grand Ole Opry" next to the dates 11/30-12/4. When your sound file opens, you can zoom to 2:08:12 (two hours, eight minutes, twelve seconds) to hear Vince, Tommy and the spirit of John Hughey!