The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another jazz steel MP3 from me
Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2000 8:06 pm    

I'm thinking that I probably will never get the chops together to make a polished jazz CD, but I still want to put some of my music out there. In that spirit, here's another MP3 file of me playing some jazz steel and guitar. It may be a little rough in some spots, but hopefully someone will enjoy it. I'm playing all the instruments here (pedal steel, guitar, and drums), except bass and piano, which are MIDI from a Band-in-a-box framework. Another back bedroom, one man band production. I'll post more as I make them.

This is a Tadd Dameron composition called "Our Delight". Enjoy.

Our Delight 3.4MB MP3

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2000 7:11 am    

Sounds great, Jerry! You do indeed have the chops to do your own CD, and your guitar playing is really good, too. Go for it!!
Thanks,
Jim

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2000 8:29 am    

Hey Jerry--I downloaded it as soon as I saw this announcement 'cause I knew it would be good. You didn't disappoint. That's real sweet. Thanks for sharing it!

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2000 11:00 am    

Great playing, Jerry!

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2000 2:43 pm    

Jerry,
Wonderfull playing !! Wow, I am really impressed !! The sound is great and you are great on both pedal steel and guitar !! I would be very interested in purchasing a copy of your CD, or tape, whatever medium you use. I have purchased CDs that I was alot less impressed by, and I mean that sincerely. Keep uo the good work and let me know how I could purchase a copy of your CD/tape !! This style is exactly what I love to hear, and wish I could play, being both a steel guitar and guitar player, of lesser standards, I must add. Thanks for posting this.

Cairo Zoots

Moville, Iowa ,next to the west fork of the Little Sioux River
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2000 4:59 pm    

Whew! I thought that was Hank Garland on guitar! NICE JOB Jerry! Mebbe in a later post U could clue us in on what U used for recording it...ie...software for mixing et al. Thanx for a great MP3! Cz

------------------
ree-oo-dee-doo

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2000 11:56 pm    

Thank you all so much for the kind words. For some time now, it's been my goal to make a jazz recording that features pedal steel. The project hasn't gone forward because I don't feel that I can play well enough to produce something that sounds polished and professional. I have come to realize that if I wait until I'm satified with every aspect of my playing, it'll probably never happen.

The internet and MP3 technology has now given me a somewhat different view. The music I'm interested in making has a limited audience, most of whom would be forgiving of a few minor flaws in a recording. I don't know how much interest there actually is in what I'm doing, but for the benefit of those who are interested, I'm going to keep making these home recordings and posting them from time to time. When I have enough material that I'm satisfied with, I'll offer CD's on request (the original recordings really do sound better than MP3's). I'm certainly not out to impress anybody, and I guess I am a harsh critic of my own abilites. I didn't even post this on "Bar Chatter" because then everybodywould see it. But let's face it, there arn't many steel players focusing on the jazz idiom, and as long as I keep getting positive feedback, I'll keep doing it. I'll try to choose material that isn't often heard on steel guitar.

My setup is simple; a Macintosh G3 computer, fed by a Mackie mixer with a Digitech TSR-6 stereo effects processor. My steel (Carter, D-10, 8+8, Lawrence pickups) is recorded through a Boss GX-700 processor, then into the mixer. I used the stereo reverb and delay from the GX-700. The Guitar (Ibanez GB-10) was through an Evans preamp, into the mixer. The Digitech provided the guitar reverb. The drums were recorded with a pair of Shure SM-57's, nothin' fancy. All of the MIDI is handled in software with Roland's Virtual Sound Canvas 3.0.

I've rattled on long enough, so I won't get into a long discussion about recording technique, but the basic method is to start with Band-in-a-Box, prepare the basic song, export it as a MIDI file, then work with it in ProTools, adding the steel and guitar parts. Finally, replace any MIDI tracks that I could make sound better as real instruments, such as drums or bass. It's fairly easy, and anyone with a reasonably up to date computer, a small mixer, and some software can do this. In a way, it's the antithesis of a real jazz performance, where spontaneity and real-time interaction is what breathes life into the music, but hey, you can't have everything...

So, what would I call my CD... how about "playin' with myself"....hmm, maybe not...

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2000 2:25 pm    

Thank U Jerry,i'm listenin' to ya' while answerin'! Nice stuff! Keep it up!
that's the way to do it, play it+ share with others. 10/4

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2000 3:58 pm    

Very well done!!

Bob Taillefer

Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2000 8:08 pm    

Great stuff! Bob

Don Walters

Saskatchewan Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2000 11:05 pm    

Excellent, Jerry! When you get a CD ready, I'll take one. Do it! easy for me to say!

John Gretzinger

Canoga Park, CA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2000 10:46 am    

Jerry -

I ran into this posting first in the Computer section and while listening clicked over to here to find out where to send my money to get the CD.

Wonderful stuff. I'll do a search to see what else might be hiding on the server from you. Keep it up.

jdg

------------------
MSA D-10
'63 Gibson Hummingbird
16/15c Hammered Dulcimer

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2000 11:32 am    

Hey Jerry -

I don't get MP3 (I just don't get it...), but I've got to agree with everyone else: It sounds great!

OK, so I've heard you play before and I have an imagination...