The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Meantone on Peterson StrobePlus HD
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2016 7:33 pm    

My trusty Korg tuner bit the dust, so I bought a new Peterson StrobePlus HD. It was pretty confusing at first - I had to read the manual to make any sense of it.

I play a D6th copedent tuned to meantone. My tuning numbers walk around the circle of fifths like this:
Code:
F  +12.5
C  +10
G  +7.5
D  +5
A  +2.5
E   0
B  -2.5
F# -5
C# -7.5
G# -10
D# -12.5

Even after reading the manual, I didn't feel comfortable creating a "Sweetener" using the buttons on the device itself. The user interface seems to have designed by engineers for engineers. Shocked The Peterson web site offers a better alternative. You can create a custom tuning there and download it into the tuner. Here's what my meantone tuning looks like on the site:

I was quite pleased with the visual symmetry. Mr. Green Now for the test. I downloaded my custom sweetener into the tuner. My strings were getting old, so I put on a set of GHS Cryogenic Boomers (available by the gauge from the SGF Store) and tuned up all strings, pedals and levers with the amp turned off. For the moment of truth, I turn on my amp.

It sounds wonderful! I've never been so in tune. Except... wait a minute... the A&B pedals sound a little off. Remember, this is like a C6th tuning moved up to D6th, with E9th pedals added. Even with the Korg, I always have to tweak those pedals a bit by ear. Is there a way to do it with the Strobe?

It turns out there is. I have the root D strings in tune, but I see that when I press A+B the strobe for D is moving slowly to the left. Cabinet drop! I adjust the A and B pedals to the same rate of leftward movement. Viola! Now A+B has the same sweet meantone sound as the rest of the guitar. It's perfect. I've never been so in tune. Very Happy Very Happy

I give the Peterson StrobePlus HD very high marks for precision tuning. I'm still disappointed with the "human factors" aspect of the user interface, though. I worry about using a device that's hard to fathom even after reading the manual. I don't like depending on a web site to configure it, because web sites change over time.

One last thing: the unit has a rechargable battery that uses a USB wire. Again, Peterson is relying on current computer technology to keep the device usable. I would have preferred good old AA batteries. They'll never be obsolete.

That's my review.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2016 8:49 pm    

very nice review b0b... I too have couple old Korgs which are about to fall apart, and was looking at Peterson...I always tuned straight 440 and never had a problem, but I'm curious about "sweetened" option of Peterson... will probably get one pretty soon...

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2016 9:35 pm     Charging

b0b
You probably know this but you can use your phone charger like a Samsung one to charge with. I charge it on the steel with the charger plugged into a power strip. You probably already got the power strip if you use the Hilton or other active units.
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 4:20 am    

b0b, if you have any problems at all contact Sue or Chris at Peterson, you will not get any better service anywhere, always willing to help, Sue is tech Rep, repairs, operating etc, as you probably know, and Chris is more on the computer/website side.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 5:29 am    

How does the C# to F# sound ?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 5:54 am    

I really like mine! Very Happy

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 7:20 am    

The fourths will have the same timbre as the fifths. It's a good compromise within ET limits.

A pretty glowing recommendation, I've never been so in tune. Everybody will want one.

I agree about batteries. You could have a transformer as well and as cheaply.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 7:29 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
How does the C# to F# sound ?

Very nice. I honestly don't hear a problem with the 2.5 cent difference in 4ths and 5ths. They all sound in tune to me.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 7:32 am    

My daughter just gave me a little block transformer that plugs into an AC outlet and has a USB jack. That goes into my steel seat for emergencies should the tuner battery die. I guess it's okay. Forget what I said about AA batteries. Embarassed

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 9:54 am    

The battery seems to stay charged forever.. I charge mine about every 2 months. Smile

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 11:11 am    

My battery charge lasts for 3 to 4 hrs of use. If i forget to turn it off, it just makes it through a gig. Leaving the house with a fully charged battery is a must. I've also been hung when I forget to bring that charger. Batteries would be easier.
J

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 11:51 am    

I have an AC charger I keep in my steel seat but I've never had to use it. A full charge, for me, lasts several months.

BTW, I like the on-line programming. Manual programming is cumbersome. I also have an ST122 tuner (just as accurate as the Peterson) but it is manual programming and its took me forever to get it programmed correctly.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 12:11 pm    

They also make rechargable usb batteries you can hook up to any usb device. They sell them all over the place as backup power for phones ,tablets, laptops and steel guitar tuners.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 2:52 pm    

Bob you can even charge it in your car on the way to the gig :-}
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 6:23 pm     Peterson Strobo Hd

Best tuner I have ever owned thanks to the support of the forum.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 6:26 pm     Peterson Strobo Hd

I bought charger also. Was not sure how long a charge would last.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2016 4:47 am    

Great review, b0b. I never really had to use any of the advanced features on the tuner so I guess I was lucky. I let a friend borrow it to tune his guitar and he was completely lost with the interface. For some reason I just picked it right up and was able to tune with it.

I agree with you, my steel never sound more in tune until I bought one.

I also used it on my acoustic to tune to DADGAD and it sounded unbelievable. That tuner was worth every penny for me.

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2016 9:56 am    

How could this be applied to E9th tuning? I noticed there are a couple of meantone presets on the strobo plus.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2016 10:22 am     Meantone on E9th

For E9th, you would put F# at the middle. This puts E at +5 and G# at -5, so that the open strings average out to 0 offset.
Code:
G  +12.5
D  +10
A  +7.5
E  +5
B  +2.5
F#  0
C# -2.5
G# -5
D# -7.5
A# -10
E# (F) -12.5

I haven't used it on E9th because cabinet drop on the A & B pedals tends to mess up the equation. I honestly haven't tried E9th with the Peterson tuner yet, but if I do, I'll tune the A & B pedals (notes A and C#) as I do on my D6th:

"I have the root D strings in tune, but I see that when I press A+B the strobe for D is moving slowly to the left. Cabinet drop! I adjust the A and B pedals to the same rate of leftward movement. Voila! Now A+B has the same sweet meantone sound as the rest of the guitar."

The root tone on E9th is the 4th string E. The same method would probably be applied to the C pedal.

For C6th, I put the D note at the center. I wrote an article a few years ago about this: http://b0b.com/infoedu/WellTemperedC6th.html