The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Deluxe 8" questions
Charley Wilder

Dover, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2007 11:36 am    

A couple years back I asked here what my 8 string l960's Fender non-pedal steel was called. I think it was Brad who answered that it was called a Deluxe 8. I fell in with a couple of Blues pickers about that time and under the bed went the steel and out came the Tele and Strat! I'm sorry people, I strayed! Now it's back to the steel! Question 1: Is it correct to call it a Stringmaster Deluxe 8? Or is it just a Deluxe 8. 2. Is Stringmaster a generic designation in other words. And finally: did Fender make a "Deluxe 6" exactly like my "8". ( twin pickup, reostat under the bridge cover, legs)(what is that reostat thing called? I know what it does.) Thanks, I know I have come to the right place for answers!! Very Happy

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 May 2007 11:56 am    

1. Fender Deluxe 8 is what Fender called it, but people sometimes refer to it as a single neck Stringmaster.
Stringmasters were produced in double neck, triple neck and four neck (quad) models.

2. Yes, they made a Deluxe 6.
They also made a double six, and if memory serves it was called a Dual 6 Deluxe or something like that.

3. Blend control

RA
BIG STEEL

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 5 May 2007 12:04 pm    

Because this is a Deluxe 8, your Deluxe 8 is the only Fender steel that lacks its own name or shares a name with another guitar. I dislike confusion and I call the single neck Stringmaster a Single Neck Stringmaster (or a Stringmaster Deluxe), rightly or wrongly.

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 May 2007 1:15 pm    

Fender also made a D6 Stringmaster. Derrick Mau has one.
Which one was called the "Studio Deluxe" ??

BILL

Gary Lynch

Creston, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2007 11:20 pm    

Some info on this subject;

http://home.insight.rr.com/steelgtr/stringmaster.html

Charley Wilder

Post  Posted 7 May 2007 6:56 am    

Thanks for the info guys! Blend Control;yes! I see the reason for confusion with the two names. I guess it's best to call it either or both and wait until somebody questions me. The link is great! I'm going to copy it. It's a shame I have an 8-string and have only used it with six!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 9:44 am    

I had a 60's Deluxe 8 for a while. I bought it thinking it would sound like my '67 Stringmaster D8. It didn't. It was made of a lighter wood, and the tone just died on the high frets.

I think it's misleading to call these guitars Stringmasters. Despite their similar appearance, some of them aren't worthy of the name.

Charley Wilder

Post  Posted 8 May 2007 7:36 am    

Well, in that case I'll make sure I don't call it a Stringmaster. I wouldn't want to mislead anybody into thinking I've been getting by for forty years with anything more than a third rate instrument!

Chris Scruggs

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2007 11:51 am    

A studio deluxe is basically a champ with legs. The definition of a Stringmaster is a multineck non pedal seel with 8 strings per neck.

A "D-6 Stringmaster" is technically called a dual 6 professional (just to confuse you with the three leg trapezoid pickup equipped guitars of the early 50s called dual professionals). Much like the way they confuse us with calling a "single neck Stringmaster" a Deluxe even when a very different guitar was already called that.

I suppose Fender figured those early guitars had been discontinued and they were free to use those names again, kind of like hor a 4x10 tweed bassman combo is totally different from a 2x12 piggy back blackface bassman. It was just a more modern interpretation.

I make the distinction by saying "early styled deluxe" or "later styled deluxe".

cs

Mike Black

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2007 12:23 pm    

xzxzx

Last edited by Mike Black on 13 May 2011 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Gary Lynch

Creston, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2007 1:35 pm    

"Well, in that case I'll make sure I don't call it a Stringmaster. I wouldn't want to mislead anybody into thinking I've been getting by for forty years with anything more than a third rate instrument!"

The Fender Deluxe 8 is a fine steel guitar. They sound great. Don't think they are not a fine instrument to play or second rate. The design and playability as well as sound make them a sought after guitar internationally.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2007 2:28 pm    

Gary Lynch wrote:
"Well, in that case I'll make sure I don't call it a Stringmaster. I wouldn't want to mislead anybody into thinking I've been getting by for forty years with anything more than a third rate instrument!"

The Fender Deluxe 8 is a fine steel guitar. They sound great. Don't think they are not a fine instrument to play or second rate. The design and playability as well as sound make them a sought after guitar internationally.

I didn't mean to imply that all Deluxe 8's are second rate, but the one I had certainly was! It looked fine but it didn't have that Stringmaster sound at all. It was a later model (1968, I think) that was made from an inferior piece of wood.

You know you have a clunker when the lead guitarist comments on how bad your tone is. That actually happened to me, and the guitarist was someone I had played with a lot. He was right. I knew it instinctively but hoped that no one would notice. I was wrong.

Jon Kostal

Westmont, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2007 5:49 pm    

I own a mid 60's Deluxe 8 (22.5) as well as a mid 60's D-8 Stringmaster (24.5). There is a huge difference in tone. The D-8 blows the Deluxe out of the water. I use the Deluxe 8 more often, though, for the convenience. Both sound good. It's a matter of taste.